Permissions needed for FAT32 drive!!

aimo3

In Runtime
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Laptop. User is using a USB flash drive for daily back-up from PC to drive. Today, he's getting this error message: "You need permission to perform this action". The flash drive is FAT32, not NTFS, so what permissions?!

I tried to create a txt file on it and got the same message. I copied the files from drive to my PC with no problem.

I read on the net that this can happen when user removes the driver without ejecting it first from that little icon on the notification area which if you use it, it tell you when it will be safe to remove the device. I did it and put it back, and I put it on my PC, all with no avail.

Any idea?

Does it do it with other USB drives? If so, then it's possible it's something that got messed up with his user profile permissions.

I read on the net that this can happen when user removes the driver without ejecting it first from that little icon on the notification area which if you use it, it tell you when it will be safe to remove the device. I did it and put it back, and I put it on my PC, all with no avail.

Any idea?

Sounds like the usb drive is having a problem itself take the drive to another computer.
Make sure its windows 7, scan it first for errors, if windows finds any have it fix it.
If you have any data on it move it to a folder and format the drive using full format.
Once done, go back to the users computer, put it back and see what happens.

It should begin to work as normal.
if you've been using the drive for a long timr and it gives you that error again, it maybe gettting ready to die.

Sounds like the usb drive is having a problem itself take the drive to another computer.
Make sure its windows 7, scan it first for errors, if windows finds any have it fix it.
If you have any data on it move it to a folder and format the drive using full format.
Once done, go back to the users computer, put it back and see what happens.

It should begin to work as normal.
if you've been using the drive for a long timr and it gives you that error again, it maybe gettting ready to die.
You make more sense, because I already connected it to my LT which runs Win7 Pro also.

I'll forward you advice to the user and let you know if it works.

Back
Top Bottom