Oops. I just removed memory without cutting power...!

dan7777

In Runtime
I know it's stupid but I forgot to switch my desktop off at the PSU, and then I removed the RAM and put it back again. Is this likely to damage the RAM?

My PC just wasn't booting (just a blank screen), so I removed some hardware and reseated the RAM in hope that this would help. Things seem to be ok now...

Any comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah, I had just shut down windows, but forgot to actually flip the switch at the back!

As, I said things seem to be ok now. However, I'm worried as to why my PC went wrong in the first place. I did connect a dodgy hard drive a few minutes before hand... and then the computer crashed and gave me an error message. When I tried to turn it back on my disk drive was making weird noises, so I disconnected it. This didn't seem to help so I reseated the RAM and hey presto! - But does taking out RAM and putting it back in again actually make any difference?

Cheers.

I just pull the plug in the back (good habit to be in when working on computers):p .

Usually its a good habit to either unplug it or flip the master switch to be safe. I have forgotten to do either of those many times (more than im proud of) and have never had a problem. as long as it's had like a minute to sit before adding/removing you should be good.

I've ALMOST blown My arm off quite a few times, touching RAM when its "on", video card, and mobo just doing little repairs that could have really have killed me!

I don't think it's too good though. One time I didn't turn off my psu and I shocked my video card. Couple weeks later the card died. lol coincidence?

lol. as long as fans aren't spinning under their own power (spinning from wind or air draft is ok) you generally are safe.

usually i pull out the plug but sometimes, especially on my old computer ive left it in whilst ive had a fiddle, not a good idea really lol, luckily ive been fine

Back
Top Bottom