Oculus Rift

Prove the technology. Early adopting this tech at a $500 price point is not happening for me.

$250 is my upper limit. I don't care how much 'value' is inside the visor.

No, both were close to free for Oculus in return for making it compatible with Xbox One. They pay < $10 for the controller.

Not really. Just stating the facts.

It's alread been confirmed the Rift is sold at slightly under cost price. They are losing money on every rift sold.

I don't understand why people think $1000+ for a TV is fine. $600 for a phone is fine. $1000 for a P&S camera is fine (Yes i'm pointing out your RX 100 IV). But $600 for all of that kit I listed is apparently expensive. Uhm, no.

Yes, feel free to be annoyed at Oculus not sticking to their price. Thats fine, and makes sense. But to say it's bad value full stop is just not true.

edit:

TotalBiscuit is on point. TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter
Yea I don't care for one second and I don't care what they might say they're sticking that extra cost to the consumer for "value" which is strictly profit if that IS true. Seriously, a One controller costs 50 bucks and the adapter 24, both of which aren't a necessity because on the PC you can use any controller you want. I don't see the point in making it compatible with the Xbox when there's no way in hell the Xbox has enough power to push it.

Prove the technology. Early adopting this tech at a $500 price point is not happening for me.

$250 is my upper limit. I don't care how much 'value' is inside the visor.
It was proved with DK2. CV1 just ups the ante.

Yea I don't care for one second and I don't care what they might say they're sticking that extra cost to the consumer for "value" which is strictly profit if that IS true. Seriously, a One controller costs 50 bucks and the adapter 24, both of which aren't a necessity because on the PC you can use any controller you want. I don't see the point in making it compatible with the Xbox when there's no way in hell the Xbox has enough power to push it.

It was proved with DK2. CV1 just ups the ante.

Microsoft approached Oculus and wanted Rift support as a counter to Sony having PSVR. Obviously Oculus wanted something in return, and so they got Xbox One controllers at below cost price. That's all there is to it. You actually come out ahead. Adding the controller to the Rift added ~$10 to the Rifts RRP. You can sell them on ebay when you get them for 5x that. You lose nothing and gain a lot. They couldn't not ship with a standardized controller.

Oculus give zero ****s about Xbox One and rift, it was just a cheap way to get input included. It's Microsofts problem that the console isn't strong enough.

I'd much prefer they cut the price rather than add things I'll never use. The headphones and the controller, mainly.

I'd much prefer they cut the price rather than add things I'll never use. The headphones and the controller, mainly.

The headphones are there because Oculus have tuned the audio pipeline from start to finish to all work perfectly together. The Oculus Audio SDK has great 3D audio tech which is all built around the headphones, dac & amp included on the Rift. They're also really convenient, putting on the Rift and then fumbling around for headphones is a PITA and its another cable to drag around. They're high quality too, the very same drivers are used in headphones costing well over $70.

The controller is difficult because most PC gamers probably have one. I dunno, maybe 80% of PC gamers have one or something. But for the 20% that don't, they'd then have to spend another $50 on top of the Rift and make a seperate purchase. It's also a huge pllus to developers, if they know every single user is going to have the same standardized input device available too them.

Like I said to PP though, you actually save money by them including the controller. The amount it adds to the RRP is way lower than the amount you can sell the controller for if you don't need it.

6f123b6b11f8b064a01cf452f5ab2506.png

edit:

So in an ideal world, i'd like to see them sell two SKUs in the future. One with no headphones, no controller, no fancy carrying box, no Oculus Remote.

Last edited:
kmanmx you don't need to justify your purchase to us. And you're not going to convince anymore to preorder it. I think its funny though that you think people should spend $600, wait months for the product to arrive, to resell a controller and headphones as a way of lowering the overall price. What a hassle

VR is not proven yet. No one sensible is preordering the Oculus today.

Listen to what you're saying, kman.
Oculus have tuned the audio pipeline from start to finish to all work perfectly together. The Oculus Audio SDK has great 3D audio tech which is all built around the headphones, dac & amp included on the Rift. They're also really convenient, putting on the Rift and then fumbling around for headphones is a PITA and its another cable to drag around. They're high quality too, the very same drivers are used in headphones costing well over $70.

it reads like a company press release. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom