Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
I am currently using a Westell Wirespeed modem. I am on the host computer right now. It is working fine.

I have been using this modem/router for years and it usually works fine or fixes with a bit of fooling around with. But today it isnt fixing.

Both computers are using Windows XP and are compatible with the modem and whatnot. As I said, I have used this modem for a while.

The client computer says that it is connected. It is sending packets but doesnt recieve any.

I went into the command prompt and did a ping on the client computer. It pinged fine. It will not let me renew or release the IP though when I type ipconfig /release or /renew

I have tried switching out the network cables. That didnt work.

The "Ethernet" light on the front of the Westell modem is not lit up.

I have restarted both computers multiple times. I also turned them both off and turned off their surge protectors, then turned them back on. That didnt help.

I unplugged the modem for about a minute. That didnt help.

I need help as I have been fooling with this thing for over 2 hours today and have gotten absolutely nowhere.

I just need to clear something, because I'm just wondering if both the computers are connected to the "modem/router" device. Because when you said the host computer and the client computer, it sounds like you're using Internet Connection Sharing.

But if both computers are connected to the Westell, try doing a diagnostic ping test so I can have a better understand of what's going on in your network.

Before doing the ping, check device manager for any error that might occur on your network adapter.

Follow these steps below:

First open up a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and verify that you got an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS. Take note of this information. Now perform the following steps below.

1) ping the loopback address 127.0.0.1

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 2 if not don't proceed yet.

2) ping your IP address

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 3 if not don't proceed yet.

3) ping the default gateway

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 4 if not don't proceed yet.

4) ping the DNS IP

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 5 if not don't proceed yet.

5) ping 64.233.161.147

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 6 if not don't proceed yet.

6) ping www.google.com

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 7 if not don't proceed yet.

7) open up a web browser and go to www.google.com

Does it work? If yes you have Internet, if not you have a firewall issue or wrong configuration in the web browser.

Tell me which step you are stuck at.

Err oops I made a mistake in my first post. The host computer is using Windows 2000 Professional. I donno if that effects anything though...

Yes I am on a network. I am using Bellsouth DSL with a Westell Wirespeed modem, which is also the router, I do believe. I forgot to mention before that I had already checked device manager. THere are no errors there.

Ping test:

ipconfig all: Gave me all the stuff there. No errors.

pings:
127.0.0.1: Worked just fine. 4 sent, 4 recieved

My own IP: Worked fine again

Default Gateway and the rest all timed out. I didnt even try google because I had already done that earlier today and it didnt work.

Ok, so you can't ping the default gateway, but is the default gateway pointing to the Westell device or is it pointing to the ISP router? Because with these modem/router combo, sometime the DHCP is not enable to allow for two computer and sometime instead of getting a private IP address, you get the public IP address instead.

You don't have to list your IP address if you don't want to but I need to know is your two computers getting an IP address similar to these below?
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Law thanks for your help.

I called the network guy after buying new network cables that didnt work. It ended up that my computer just had a bad network card. :p

So who found the problem, you or the ISP guy? :D

Good to see the problem was found.

BTW, you're not really using the free version of Zone Alarm are you? Because if it was the free version and ICS work for you, than I must have gotten my information wrong. :eek:

yes the host did have the free Zone Alarm. I deleted it though. That computer is so filled up with antivirus stuff that it slows grossly. It has McAfee and AVG running constantly, so its ok.

but really that computer takes 5 minutes to start up. Its newer than mine and mine takes 1 minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom