Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterSOTP

Beta member
Alright, first off, computer one in my house (which is the one I am posting this on right now) is hooked up to cable through a black cable router (brand unknown) the cable router is then hooked, through an ethernet cable, to the internet port on a linksys wireless router. The router is then connected through ethernet port 4 to the LAN connection of the computer.

What I want to do is allow another computer in my house to access this. I have a second linksys wireless router that is synced to computer two already, and has been used with it before, connected to ethernet port 3 on the first router, then that cord is connected to the internet port of the second router. But, not matter how I connect them, or what I do I can't get anything to recognize the internet.

I've used my DS to try and test the internet on the second router (I can't on the first due to a passcode encryption which is beyond what the DS can do) and it's turned up no connection although it does recognize the router.

And computer two recognizes both routers, but cannot stay connected to router one for more then 5 seconds, then it can no longer associate to that router.

It can however associate and acknowledge router two, but it doesn't recognize any internet.

Now mind you that the first computer is connected directly to the router. The second connects through a wireless router.

I hope all of that was clear enough. Both computer are running XP. Computer two is running linksys software. Computer one was set-up by a friend who knows networking but no longer comes around.

If you have 2 routers set up on the same network, they are both going to try and give each pc an Ip address, which will bring down your network. You need to disable DHCP on one of the routers. (if it has the option, some routers do not allow you to turn it off)

First, connect only one router. Connect your computer to that router. Make sure your PC is set to get an IP automatically. Open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and hit enter. This will give you your IP, subnet, and default gateway. Open a web browser and type in the address of the default gateway (router 1 I presume) and go into the setup of it and enable DHCP. Then connect the other router to the cable modem, connect your computer to it and follow the same steps except disable DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom