Need help making a gaming server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thane of Cawdor

Baseband Member
Recently I've been thinking about hosting around 3 servers or so on my computer but I am not to sure how do go about doing so.

My friend has made 3 servers for Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and has already made $60. Because there are limited jobs in my area I think that this may be the best way to make some cash.

Does anybody know how to make a server? If so send me a message to my gamespot account and please help me out.

well before you start any server... You need a decent internet connection.

Also, if you wanted to host some servers for example Wolfenstein ET, a single CPU (p4 with HT) should be fine for 2 large capacity (if your connection can handle it).. With like 1gb of Dual Channel ram

List what type of servers you wanted to host, and how many people in them....

Also you can make a good amount of cash hosting your own websites from your house, they dont take up much bandwidth.....

I got one,

www.team-cobra.com
this is being hosted off of a

Dual PII 350mhz 512kb L2 Cache Each 100mhz FSB
128mb PC-100 SDRAM
4.6gb "cheetah" SCSI 10,000rpm
red hat linux SMP

From what I have heard, that is overkill for my current website, but hey, I got plenty of room for growth.

server

Well I will most likely be making a server for Wolfestein Enemy Territory with 18 people max. The computer I use from home is an Athlon 64 3200+ with 1.5 gigs of Patrio Extreme RAM, a Leadtek 6600GT and my processor has be OverClocked to 2.2ghz.
I also have optimum online but I'm using a wireless internet connection so I don't know if that is a problem.
I can't host a server effectively then I just won't do it and I have no problem with that. I just need some money as soon as possible.
Oh and to answer the question on how you get money:
---You make a paypal account or perhaps you accept cash/checks/credit card and give your server to someone who needs a place to host a game.
Although I find it a little rediculous to actually buy a server, some people want a reliable place to go.

I'd love to but my dad is too cheap =/.
I would do the drilling and what not myself but it would be too complicated.

I also have another solution to the problem.
My friend has a computer that he used to hold up to 3 Wolfenstein servers undedicated. This computer was pretty low quality---bad video card, old p4 and, maybe 1 gig of RAM.
Now he got a new computer so he isn't going to use it anymore. I was thinking that my friend and I can add more RAM to the computer and turn it into a dedicated server.
Would this work?

well you will be ok without a decent video card, but it would be great if that P4 had HT. Even if it doesnt, still try to get your hands on it.

yea...well it will be a dedicated server so I won't be playing on it. I'm gonna try to get that computer setup as soon as possible.
Thanks for the help.

well just for heads up, you will get really crappy performance with the wireless connection. I would set the computer up right next to the wireless router and connect it physically with some ethernet cable

I created a Counter-Strike server a while back on a DSL 640k/640k Connection, on a P4 1.6ghz and 768MB of PC2100 DDR. The max I could handle was 8 connections.

For a home gaming server, DSL is probably your best option if you can find a decent provider. Qwest offers 3-5Mbps/896Kbps for $55 a month, which would probably get you by with 12-14 connections. Qwest wouldn't be my first choice tough, they're the whole reason we moved to cable. Also a lot of ISP's offer big discounts if you bundle services.

And trust me, I know how hard it is to convince parents to change service providers. It took years to convince my parents to move to DSL years ago. The trick is, you have to get your parents to be frustrated with it too. If they don't notice anything wrong, and if it doesn't effect them, they don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom