Most Important Post Ever !

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a hoax. I did a report on it a while ago.

There is such thing as a no call list for land lines, but there is no such thing as a no call list for cell phones. CELL PHONE COMPANIES WILL NOT GIVE OUT YOUR NUMBER, unless you willingly give someone your number you won't get telemarketing calls on your cell phone.

This is a totally bogus scare tactic that the Internet has been doing for a while now. There are some bylaws within the system which would not allow telemarketing companies to call you anways, not to mention AT&T and other providers are guarding their customer numbers VERY closely.

Here is a brief overview of my report I did a few months back - ommited a few things for obvious security reasons.

Legal
The laws seem to be similar for cell phone as they are for land lines. The two added laws for cell phone calling are you cannot use an automatic dialer for calling cell phones or automated voice systems. The do-not-call list seems to be confusing for most people when it comes to cell phones. There have been a number of fake emails explaining people need to sign up their cell phone numbers prior to a specific date (usually June and January of every year - watch your emails!) before telemarketers get their cell phone numbers. These are fictitious emails.

If a telemarketer calls someone that is on the do-not-call list the fine is $500 dollars, and if it is proven that the company skirted the law and calling intentionally, the fine triples to $1,500. There are various details like no harassment, you have to be upfront and honest about costs associated with a product, but none actually pertain to -----

There is no special do-not-call list for cell phones. You can add your cell phone to the national do-not-call list, but that is about all a customer can do. So the only laws are for the do-not-call registry (which is the same as land lines) and absolutely no auto dialers can call a cell phone.

Costs
I couldn't find anyone that sells cell phone numbers. The only research numbers I've seen that were from cell phone numbers were either for political polls or a very small portion of research the Gallup Poll. I could not find how these companies got the numbers, but from some readings it seems like they were opt-in polls in which the respondent gave the company their cell phone for research. Also these numbers are extremely hard to get, so when searching for the difficult MDA of 18-34 males purchasing cell phone numbers is a must, otherwise companies opt for land line calling.

There are various free online sites that allow you to lookup a listed phone number for a particular person (similar to whitepages.com) or a particular address, but this is an incomplete list at best (roughly 30 million numbers of the 160 million cell phones). You also have to go one number at a time, and know either the name or address of a particular person.

Conclusion
Within the legal confines of State and Federal law, ----- can call cell phones. We do not fall under the telemarketing category, and we do not use an auto dialer for phone calls or an automated voice system. These are the two main legal matters that would concern calling cell phones. The true issue is gaining the phone numbers themselves.

There was a movement to create a large cell phone database for the purpose of using it as a national cell phone director - or known as a 411 listing. There were two issues with this database. One was that you had to choose to be included in this database. Which is fine, but most major carriers didn't promote the list. The second issue was that not all carriers offered this to their customers. So the list was incomplete and difficult to manager. Cell phone subscribers had to request to be placed on this list, and could request to be taken off at any time (both free of charge). The issue was most people weren't aware of this, and not all cell phone providers participated, so the list was abandoned.

So the major problem is getting the actual cell phone numbers. From my research I could not find one place to purchase cell phone numbers. There is not one governing body to keep these numbers, so even if we could purchase a list it would be an incomplete list comprised of just AT&T customers, or just Sprint customers. Then that brings up another issue of a stratified sample. We know that the demographics of each carrier are probably different, so if you purchased one list you would be segmenting your population.

Another issue is response rates. Statistics show that the average response rate for a land line is a little less than 50%. For cell phone numbers the response is less than 30%, sometimes lower than 10%.

Articles & References
The Numbers Guy : Cellphone Surveys Get a Boost
Pollster.com: More Cell Phone Survey News
snopes.com: Cell Phone Numbers Given to Telemarketers
The Truth About Wireless Phones and the National Do-Not-Call List
FCC: Wireless Telecommunications Bureau

Funny how this is a myth when it was on CNN a few months ago, and all over the news as being real... Numbers don't have to be released either, all a company has to do is generate the numbers for a given area, and check to make sure that they are not registered. BTW, the laws are real, it isn't a hoax, as I haven't recieved a telemarketer call for a year or so on my landline, and I have recieved several on my cell phone.

I'm not saying the no call list is a hoax. That is real. But for cell phone companies to have your cell phone starting on "x" date is a hoax.

Yes if you are using your cell phone as a normal phone and giving it out to numerous companies as your contact you probably will eventually get called for something other than what you originally gave your number out for.

Did you even read the article or look at the sources?

Please provide a news article debunking what i've said above because i can't find them. The no call list is real. Companies devuldging your cell phone number to telemarketers is fake. Not only will companies not sell your number, it is illegal for people to call you per certain dialing methods - most of which are used at large call centers.

Since you obviously think i'm blowing smoke, here are a few other articles supporting what i've said.
Cell Phones, Telemarketers and Do Not Call Registry - Urban Legends
Do not call list for cell phone numbers?-Fiction!
Should I Join The Cell Phone Do Not Call List Now?
There is No Cell phone Do Not Call list. That Doesn't Mean You Can Call Cell Phones.

So basically our cell phones are still protected from these unsolicited calls but it doesn't hurt to still register your cell phone on the list. is this the overall conclusion?

In the articles above the registry is real but having to register your cell is false?

ALSO - when we moved here 5 years ago during midafternoon to night we would literally get hand fulls of unsolicited calls. my mom said she called that number and registered our house. she said it cut calls to almost none. Its been 5 years and the calls have returned like crazy! She said she's about to re-register.

The no call list for LAND LINES is real. It isn't a hoax, it is federally regulated and backed by law.

The no call list for CELL PHONES is false. It IS a hoax and something that you see roaming on the Internet. Similar to the whole Mars hoax saying that during May or something Mars will be as large as the moon in the night sky.

You can still register your cell phone with the no call list. This will ensure that if you do give you cell phone number out to businesses, that if they do eventually sell that to telemarketers you won't get called. So yes it doesn't hurt.

I'm just saying that a cell phone no call list is a hoax and doesn't exist. And there are a lot of things standing inbetween your cell phone number and telemarketers. Businesses not willing to sell cell phone numbers (trust me there is definately a market of buyers out there, businesses like AT&T just aren't willing to give that information out b/c it would come at a heavy cost), the no machine dialing, and no auto answer (which rules out 99% of the call centers).

Sorry i'll drop it, I just had to say something b/c charles thought i was blowing smoke.

i've gotten 3 calls in the past week that were from telemarketers, haven't gotten 1 in the past 2 years of my cell phone plan, my dad added us all onto the dnc list and haven't gotten another one yet. so if its a hoax, its a **** good hoax and i'll gladly pop my number out there if it stops machines calling me in school ;)

also the dnc list works for cell phones. so what you're arguing is a bit messed up in my eyes. it exists, the likely-hood of telemarketers and businesses getting your cell phone number, yeah that's pretty slim, but it happens.

Straight from the FCC

Federal Trade Commission - The Do Not Call Registry
Cell Phones
You may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. Federal Communications Commission regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers.

I've gotten a call from a telemarketer on my cell before, but it was most likely my fault for entering it for a point of contact on some online form.. not reading the fine print. But, this DOES say "prohibits telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phones"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom