Most anticipated but biggest dissapointment in games

What made Sim City a disappointment? I almost bought it out of curiosity the other day is it really bad?

My understanding is that it includes DRM which requires the player to be connected to servers while playing, even in the single-player offline mode. The number of servers was insufficient in launch week and a lot of people who bought the game have been unable to play it. Just more developers irritating their customers in the name of avoiding piracy.

You realize that XI was an MMO, right? Like Ultima Online, World Of Warcraft, etc.? Paying monthly is ... well, it's part of playing an MMO.

Yes I do, but do you understand what false advertisement is ?
I was suppose to get a full feature game and not a MMO.
There are 2 versions of it, steam had gotten some info mixed up by squaresoft and took down a version of XI and updated it with another.
Do you see why I am not real pleased with squaresoft ?
I can't even sell a unused product key for a unwanted online service so thats money wasted.

Please see it from my perspective and any others who found out the same thing 2 years ago. :/

Yes I do, but do you understand what false advertisement is ?
I was suppose to get a full feature game and not a MMO.
There are 2 versions of it, steam had gotten some info mixed up by squaresoft and took down a version of XI and updated it with another.
Do you see why I am not real pleased with squaresoft ?
I can't even sell a unused product key for a unwanted online service so thats money wasted.

Please see it from my perspective and any others who found out the same thing 2 years ago. :/

You only found out that it was an MMO two years ago? I'm not a Final Fantasy fan and even I knew it was an MMO and that it was marketed and sold as an MMO. Moreover, how can you not know that a game released in North America for PC in 2003 is not an MMO two years ago? It's been ten years since Final Fantasy XI was released - why is it suddenly a surprise that it's an MMO?

Now, on the off chance that you're talking about Final Fantasy XIV and got your Roman numerals confused, it was still announced and marketed as an MMO. Again, I'm not a Final Fantasy fan and even I knew that XIV was an MMO and I don't pay attention to Final Fantasy or MMOs.

And to answer your initial question, I had a few communications law classes as an undergrad which delved into case law on the subject, and I also ghost-wrote part of an advertising textbook about 15 years back, so yes, I have more than a passing familiarity with false advertisement and the law around it.

With that background, I'll note that I am a disinterested consumer who cares neither about the game in question nor the overall game type and went to absolutely no effort to look up either game at the time and somehow still knew that both titles were MMOs. Thus, I'm somewhat baffled by how you, someone who is apparently interested in the games in question, did not have or seek to acquire that information.

With that in mind, it's difficult for me to see it from the perspective of you and other people who found out two years ago that an MMO released eight years before that was still an MMO.

My understanding is that it includes DRM which requires the player to be connected to servers while playing, even in the single-player offline mode. The number of servers was insufficient in launch week and a lot of people who bought the game have been unable to play it. Just more developers irritating their customers in the name of avoiding piracy.

God forbid someone finds a fancier way to copy and paste.

You only found out that it was an MMO two years ago? I'm not a Final Fantasy fan and even I knew it was an MMO and that it was marketed and sold as an MMO. Moreover, how can you not know that a game released in North America for PC in 2003 is not an MMO two years ago? It's been ten years since Final Fantasy XI was released - why is it suddenly a surprise that it's an MMO?

Now, on the off chance that you're talking about Final Fantasy XIV and got your Roman numerals confused, it was still announced and marketed as an MMO. Again, I'm not a Final Fantasy fan and even I knew that XIV was an MMO and I don't pay attention to Final Fantasy or MMOs.

And to answer your initial question, I had a few communications law classes as an undergrad which delved into case law on the subject, and I also ghost-wrote part of an advertising textbook about 15 years back, so yes, I have more than a passing familiarity with false advertisement and the law around it.

With that background, I'll note that I am a disinterested consumer who cares neither about the game in question nor the overall game type and went to absolutely no effort to look up either game at the time and somehow still knew that both titles were MMOs. Thus, I'm somewhat baffled by how you, someone who is apparently interested in the games in question, did not have or seek to acquire that information.

With that in mind, it's difficult for me to see it from the perspective of you and other people who found out two years ago that an MMO released eight years before that was still an MMO.

You know what, since your not understanding what had happen with the game that was released a couple of years ago, I won't continue this discussion.
For the record, the game was not a MMO at the time, even steams ad in their application said so and even the company had said that.
There is a a non MMO game out there and it doesn't need online play.
Don't believe me, have a look at any torrent sites that use to host it and you'll realize that was true.
Now How they turned it into a mmo and got the product information mixed up is beyond me.
If I could get an exchange for a non MMO game of XI through square-enix I would be a happy guy.
Do the research on your own time and come to your own answer. :)

God forbid someone finds a fancier way to copy and paste.

Right. Next time, I'll just post a link and you can click it.

You know what, since your not understanding what had happen with the game that was released a couple of years ago, I won't continue this discussion.
For the record, the game was not a MMO at the time, even steams ad in their application said so and even the company had said that.
There is a a non MMO game out there and it doesn't need online play.
Don't believe me, have a look at any torrent sites that use to host it and you'll realize that was true.
Now How they turned it into a mmo and got the product information mixed up is beyond me.
If I could get an exchange for a non MMO game of XI through square-enix I would be a happy guy.
Do the research on your own time and come to your own answer. :)

First of all, in a discussion such as this, "do your own research" is the online equivalent of "I'm taking my ball and going home." Which, y'know, is actually what you said in the first sentence of your response.

So here's the funny thing - I researched the subject before posting. I looked around to see if I could find anything remotely close to what you mentioned, and found absolutely nothing. Even on Wikipedia's talk page, which is where you typically find the gossip and dirt and debate, there's no mention of a single-player version, rumored or otherwise.

So I poked around and did more research to see if I could find an offline, single-player edition of Final Fantasy XI that isn't an MMO.

I found this link from Destructoid, from about two weeks ago, saying - and I'm summarizing, "Hey, maybe SquareEnix is doing an offline single-player port of XI."

Final Fantasy XI Twitter teases 'something begins' - Destructoid

Steam, for its part, has two versions of Final Fantasy XI listed. They're the same edition, but one is in English. It says they were added two years ago, it's the currently complete collection of all the adventures in Vana'diel, but lists the genre as Massively Multiplayer. Here's that page:

FINAL FANTASY XI Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition on Steam

Then there's the Wikipedia page for Final Fantasy XI, which points out that it was released on PC in the US 10 years ago as an MMO: Final Fantasy XI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

None of these pages mention any kind of controversy, bait-and-switch, title mix-up or anything else. NOT ONE.

I can't find anything about it. Anywhere. Searching for Final Fantasy XI and Steam and controversy brings up a ton of hits about The War Z, but nothing related to what you're talking about.

So, once again, we're back to XI having been promoted, marketed, released and sold solely as an MMO, that it has been sold that way in the US since 2003, and that even gaming sites don't seem to have a record of it ever existing for public consumption as a single-player offline experience.

I will ask you to double-check the Roman numerals, because XI and XIV are both MMOs, according to all available information have always been MMOs, and the only indication that a future edition might not be an MMO is from a random dude on Destructoid two weeks ago, which does not match your claim that this existed two YEARS ago.

So. Instead of saying "go try to find a random torrent site that might have hosted a game two years ago" (which seems to brush up against the policy about commenting on torrent sites with respect to gaming), I have provided links to Destructoid, Steam and Wikipedia - none of which are likely to run afoul of any posted policies here - because that was what I found that was even remotely relevant to your claim, and even then, these sites only call your claim into doubt. Again.

With that said, I am not posting on this subject to be a troll. If SquareEnix did pull a bait and switch, I'd like to hear about it. I'm always curious about such things because I pay VERY close attention to developers that screw their customers or rip them off or even leave a bad taste in their mouth. It's why I paid attention to the coverage of the new version of SimCity, to the problems with Diablo III, etc. If a developer is going to try to screw me on something, I'd prefer to know in advance, and paying attention to what they've done before provides some information about what they're likely to do in the future.

However, I can't find anything about it, so if you'd care to post some links on the subject, I'd like to read them.

I don't remember an offline FF 11 at all. I was into the FF series and remember skipping it simply because it was an online game. Looked interestign though, but wasn't employed back then so no money's to pay for it and the internet it required =/

EDIT:
re-read posts and realized you're talking about a PC version... then I dunno since I didn't have a capable PC to play games on till recently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom