Microsoft Multimedia Center or other?

Duke Leto

Beta member
Hello all,

I'm new here and was looking for some technological advice and insight on setting up my house.

Just bought a house and am renovating it. Have the walls open and can run wires if needed. For entertainment, I am considering all things: just internet TV, cable, satellite, etc.

The house I bought has a working satellite dish and an HD receiver for local channels.

I have had a very bad experience with TWC in the months since moving in. The only reason I signed up for cable was that there was no contract and I knew I could cancel it whenever I wanted if I changed my mind.

Most recently I have been considering wiring my entire house with a Microsoft Media Center instead of a monthly rental fee for TiVO. Alternatively, DishNetwork offers the Hopper with a 2TB DVR built in.

So my question for everyone is: what would YOU do if you could take any option? Xbox or wifi blu ray secondary TV's? link them all? Stick with cable and pay for TiVO? Microsoft and DVR things to my computer?

I am not a techie, so that part will require alot of effort and education on my part or have to be simple but I am a contractor so the labor for any of the options would be easy for me.

Thanks in advance,

Leto

Also, my preference is always to pay for a better option than skimp; to invest money in the project up front to avoid niggling monthly fees for years. For instance, if I signed up for satellite, I'd buy everything instead of renting hardware if I could or I'd decline a discount for a higher monthly fee to avoid being stuck in a two-year contract.

Back
Top Bottom