malfunctioning ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm, youve tried a hard reset? If not, hold down the menu and play buttons until it resets. If it doesnt respond to that, try plugging it into a compatable computer to see if it at least mounts. If it mounts, then it isnt dead and it probably just needs a nice to trip to Apple for repair/replacement.

Actually Apple is offering free battery replacement to anyone who need it, regardless of warranty status (beyond the normal warranty voiding things)

Nix said:
Since when?! Around Christmas time people told me not to be it just for this reason.

Yeah as far as i knew it was free but later contact with some friends enlightened me.

Heres the scoop:

Under the 1 year warranty its free

Any time afterwards its 99$ for parts/labor.

Its free if you buy the iPod AppleCare protection plan which costs 59$ and covers all aspects of the iPod (hard drive failure, battery failure, screen messing up, etc.) for three years.

Hasn't Apple fixed the problem with the new iPod's batteries anyway?

Why can they not just give us user-replacable batteries.

qiranworms said:
Hasn't Apple fixed the problem with the new iPod's batteries anyway?

Why can they not just give us user-replacable batteries.

The trend with all of Apple's super styled things is simplcity in design and streamlined design. They won't allow user access of the iPod because it could compromise that sleek design to have the hatch open. Also the insides arent exactly organized. Wires run across, over and all around the battery and any damage to them could result in a malfunctioning unit.

g5orbust said:
The trend with all of Apple's super styled things is simplcity in design and streamlined design. They won't allow user access of the iPod because it could compromise that sleek design to have the hatch open. Also the insides arent exactly organized. Wires run across, over and all around the battery and any damage to them could result in a malfunctioning unit.

Hmm...so that would basically require redesigning the iPod. I see. I see one solution. They could create a new MP3 player. Somewhat like they have Powermacs and iMacs, Powerbooks and iBooks...they could create a Powerpod to accompany the iPod. It would be the same aluminum material is the Albooks and the G5. It would be differently designed internally. It would have more of the squarish sleek design of the Powerbooks rather then the rounded and soft design of the current iPod. Therefore it could have a removable back. It would be reorganized internally for a user-replacable battery. Because unlike the iPod it would also be designed for power, it could be slightly bigger and heavier and contain a 60 GB hard drive. Maybe I'm beginning to dream of concept designs at this point that aren't going to happen. Oh well. :)

qiranworms said:
Hmm...so that would basically require redesigning the iPod. I see. I see one solution. They could create a new MP3 player. Somewhat like they have Powermacs and iMacs, Powerbooks and iBooks...they could create a Powerpod to accompany the iPod. It would be the same aluminum material is the Albooks and the G5. It would be differently designed internally. It would have more of the squarish sleek design of the Powerbooks rather then the rounded and soft design of the current iPod. Therefore it could have a removable back. It would be reorganized internally for a user-replacable battery. Because unlike the iPod it would also be designed for power, it could be slightly bigger and heavier and contain a 60 GB hard drive. Maybe I'm beginning to dream of concept designs at this point that aren't going to happen. Oh well. :)

Add a color screen, video support and a longer battery life and you have yourself a winner. But, the downside to having an aluminum body: the thing would get BLOODY hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom