Make folder read-only and child folder writable on home network

Veraster

In Runtime
I have a home network with shared folders. Sharing folders on a network is a lot easier than using USB memory cards to transfer anything especially when you're dealing with large files.
There isn't anybody on the network that would deliberately try to mess anything up by deleting or renaming files but just in case, I'm trying to make certain folders read only to make everything as idiot-proof as possible.

So there's this one folder that needs to be read only. Inside of that folder, there is one folder where everyone needs write permissions. I can't figure out how to do that without separately sharing the subfolder with a separate entry. If I did that, there would be more clutter at the PC's network location. Obviously it would work but it would be less organized and more cluttered.

I've tried making the parent folder read and write for everyone and then making all the subfolders except one read only and I couldn't get it work that way. Everyone could read and write everything no matter what permissions I set up in the file properties.
I also tried making the parent folder read only and changing the permissions of the one that needs to be shared to read and write for everyone. This didn't work because no matter what I did, no one could write to that folder.

Does anybody know how to do this?

You need to change the sharing settings themself, not the folder settings.

For instance, right click and go to share with, specific people on the main folder, add "everybody" and right click that on the list to select "read".

1.jpg

Then, on the second folder, do the same, except select "read/write".

2.jpg

Under network settings, advanced sharing settings, you need to have "home" selected, and make sure:
Network Discovery is selected on
File and printer sharing on
Use 40-56bit encryption
Turn off password protection
Use user accounts and password

2183.jpg

Make sure those dots are selected. Once they reach your computer, they will be able to read only the root folder, and write to the inside folder.

Back
Top Bottom