Linux Users - Do You Run A Virus Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better late than never.
This webpage gives a view on malware, already written for Linux, including the AV-scanners for Linux.
Linux malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux is safer at this moment, but this won't last forever. Linux is becoming more and more popular and that makes Linux an interesting target for malware-writers.
In fact Linux is even more dangerous, because every Linux-users thinks nothing can hurt him and that's why a malware will longer survive on a Linux-computer.

If Linux was used by 85% of the world, Linux would become a second Windows in no time. Linux won't stop malware-writers and they will find security holes in Linux one way or the other.
Any OS or software is vulnerable, it's a matter of being a target or not.

Firefox was in the very beginning the safest browser and there were many arguments why Firefox was very safe. Nowadays Firefox must be patched regularly to cover its security holes and keep it safe.
Firefox isn't the safest browser anymore, it's Opera now.
The same will happen to Linux. History always repeats itself, but people never seem to learn from the past.

Linux has an advantage over other platforms in the security department. With it being open source, there are tons more eyes on the code that can patch security holes. Not only that, but if infections do happen, they can get fixed *fast*. But there's one thing for sure - naive Linux users who think they're on an invincible operating system can (and may) single handedly give Linux a bad reputation if it ever gains popularity as high as Windows. I get quite annoyed with Linux users who think they are invincible just because they're not running Windows. This is also something I see a lot of by Mac users too. Ah well. What can ya do...

One of the things I'm digging about Linux OSs. (which I'll soon be a Linux user myself for this among other reasons) if you download a picture software, and a virtual machine, you can surf the virtual machine as much as you want, and totally clear the system back to it's original state with the picture program. Unless you intentionally downloaded a program, you can opt to have it saved, and everything else go back to it's original state.

earlier at a friend of mines house, he was showing me some of the "up and ups" ubuntu, and other Linux OSs have.

Also, fire walls seem to be easier to operate, and maintain in the background on top of everything else.

I love being on the net and getting one of those pop-ups saying you're system is infected/is fragmented/etc that shows it "scanning" windows. Of course I click the link and I get the open as box--linux doesn't do exe files ( for those that dont know)

I love being on the net and getting one of those pop-ups saying you're system is infected/is fragmented/etc that shows it "scanning" windows. Of course I click the link and I get the open as box--linux doesn't do exe files ( for those that dont know)

You should see some of the stuff my Grandmother clicks on..... If I got her computer switched to ubuntu, it would save me hourse per week of having to go over to her place to square her computer away.

You should see some of the stuff my Grandmother clicks on..... If I got her computer switched to ubuntu, it would save me hourse per week of having to go over to her place to square her computer away.

I know what you mean. I wish I could convert every member of my family that calls me for help. I finally converted my wife--although she doesnt even realize it--its ubuntu with a Xp theme on it

I know what you mean. I wish I could convert every member of my family that calls me for help. I finally converted my wife--although she doesnt even realize it--its ubuntu with a Xp theme on it

LOL you can just do a VISTA or 7 theme, and say you got the new software for free. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom