Vista's end of life and what to do about it

Lol I just dont get it, why do u guys care so much about your data being collected. So they got my ID, know where I live, know what I like, bank details, etc but so what?! Yeah so if the company gets hacked then its quite crazy bad but IMO I can't really visualise google or m$ getting hacked. What's the worst a company can do, really. Seriously the worst I can imagine is that they start selling it to other companies for advertising - which is kinda a benefit as we will be getting relevant ads - not mentioning that this obviously already happens. The only other reason I can guess for hiding your data is if you have something dodgy to hide :p

Some of us just value our privacy along with our RIGHT to privacy. Personally, I don't care about it as much, BUT... the companies absolutely should be held liable for their collection habits and be forced to make a very simple interface where a person can EASILY choose whether to share their data anonymously or not. The average user isn't going to understand how to turn most of that off in Win10.
I stopped caring so much about that stuff after I got an Android phone for the first time and the realization that our conceived "privacy" was nonexistent. For instance the network I'm typing this on right now can pull any info they want simply by using this machine. Any person using an iPhone has Apple collecting every detail, and same for Google on Android. If you're connected to the internet by some device and actively browsing your privacy no longer exists.

simple interface where a person can EASILY choose whether to share their data anonymously or not.
Wont happen, even behind SSL, your ISP will see pretty much every last thing you do.

IP, ISP, email addresses, your real name, contacts, most words you even type on certain apps (possibly passwords and usernames), voice, photos, geo location, hardware specs, browser history, computer habits, alot of unique IDs of your machine..

Facebook, twitter, whatever else you can think it!

Strangely, guess what! Your ISP knows the following and even gives the following out to other companies! "IP, ISP, email addresses, your real name"

"photos" got a LEGITIMATE source on this?

"geo location" Goes hand in hand with your IP... Your computer wouldn't really report GeoIP Location data, nor GeoData seeing as most people, ya know, don't have GPS built into their laptops and desktops.

"browser history" Guess what, your ISP knows this as well and you can be certain, they sell the data off to someone.

Hardware specs/ids, guess what, most all software auto-detects and reports this back home for developers to get a sense of what their customers use so they can develop their next product.

So, want to come back and say Win10 is the root of all evil? If you are seriously, that worried about "privacy" then I highly suggest unplugging your computer, throw it in a pit of fire, call the local ISP, terminate your account, then rip the cable out of the wall, as well as throw your DVR outside and get rid of your cellphone and landline phone.

It's funny, I administer two different networks outside of my home, the users think they have privacy on the network, but even with SSL, I know what they are viewing at any given point in time. While I can't see EXACT contents such as the text on a website at the time they visit, I can certainly tell that XXX entry on my logs is a video, not sure of the name, but if I visit this URL, guess what I will see what they see if no logon is required. So yeah, they sure do have a lot of privacy, which reminds me, I need to write up a report on a client looking for another job and submit the report to someone. Welcome to the real world.

Last edited:
Wont happen, even behind SSL, your ISP will see pretty much every last thing you do.

Strangely, guess what! Your ISP knows the following and even gives the following out to other companies! "IP, ISP, email addresses, your real name"

"photos" got a LEGITIMATE source on this?

"geo location" Goes hand in hand with your IP... Your computer wouldn't really report GeoIP Location data, nor GeoData seeing as most people, ya know, don't have GPS built into their laptops and desktops.

"browser history" Guess what, your ISP knows this as well and you can be certain, they sell the data off to someone.

Hardware specs/ids, guess what, most all software auto-detects and reports this back home for developers to get a sense of what their customers use so they can develop their next product.

So, want to come back and say Win10 is the root of all evil? If you are seriously, that worried about "privacy" then I highly suggest unplugging your computer, throw it in a pit of fire, call the local ISP, terminate your account, then rip the cable out of the wall, as well as throw your DVR outside and get rid of your cellphone and landline phone.

It's funny, I administer two different networks outside of my home, the users think they have privacy on the network, but even with SSL, I know what they are viewing at any given point in time. While I can't see EXACT contents such as the text on a website at the time they visit, I can certainly tell that XXX entry on my logs is a video, not sure of the name, but if I visit this URL, guess what I will see what they see if no logon is required. So yeah, they sure do have a lot of privacy, which reminds me, I need to write up a report on a client looking for another job and submit the report to someone. Welcome to the real world.
And if you're on a proper corporate network like I am, they can literally tell whatever it is you're doing on the net. I had a friend that used to work here arguing saying they hacked her FB. I said uh no, they don't need to.

If I went as far as using MITM and CA's on the networks I manage, I could do the same as well, but I have no need to go THAT far into snooping on people. As long as I can roughly see what they are seeing, then all is good. :)

Back
Top Bottom