Linux Distribution Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Fedora 4 for the longest times but with my new machine I'm looking into a new brand. What do you all recommend for a good 64 bit Linux Distro.

I'm not an absolute expert in Linux, but I found Ubuntu to be a fairly good 64-bit distro.

I'm suprised no one metioned Xandros, I started playin with it today.It was probably the easiest (and fastest) linux install I've tried.

I'd say it's probably the closest to windows that I've seen, as far as configuring and such.

Bruce said:
I'm suprised no one metioned Xandros, I started playin with it today.It was probably the easiest (and fastest) linux install I've tried.

I'd say it's probably the closest to windows that I've seen, as far as configuring and such.

I have to agree with Bruce...Xandros installs easy and works great. I've tried Mandrake and Knoppix live and Xandros tops them easily. I'm sure some of the others mentioned in this thread are excellent distro's but I would be surprised if any of them install as effortlessly and auto recognize hardware as well.

I'm not trying to start a "my Linux is better than your Linux" war, I like all Linux. I'm just hoping someday one of the 'Nuxes can give big, mean "W" a serious problem, and I think that will require a much easier to install and work with 'Nux than most are at this point in time. I think Xandros is close to having what it will take.

Xandros Xandros Xandros

Nuxology said:
I have to agree with Bruce...Xandros installs easy and works great. I've tried Mandrake and Knoppix live and Xandros tops them easily. I'm sure some of the others mentioned in this thread are excellent distro's but I would be surprised if any of them install as effortlessly and auto recognize hardware as well.

I'm not trying to start a "my Linux is better than your Linux" war, I like all Linux. I'm just hoping someday one of the 'Nuxes can give big, mean "W" a serious problem, and I think that will require a much easier to install and work with 'Nux than most are at this point in time. I think Xandros is close to having what it will take.

Xandros Xandros Xandros

I have to say it's pretty cool, installed PS 7 nicely with cross over office.

The only distro I use is Ubuntu. I run it using a rather old laptop, and it runs much more smoothly than my WinXp, I know they're completely different OS I'm simply stating that if you have an old computer, you might want to select Linux of Windows.

The whole interface is easy, all the commands should be universal so I don't think it really matters. I've expirienced some problems with restricted files and I had no idea how to access them even though I am admin, but I am a total Linux noob, so I must not be doing something right.

I run my Apache server on it and it runs great. Reccomended for new users.

i think SuSe is good for beginners, it has a simple and intuitive setup and master configuration utility (YaST). YaST covers many fields of hardware, software and network configuration in one utility. It also as a simple rpm system.

I am still very new to linux, just beginning the shell. It would be easier provided I didn't have so many harddrive problems (see URL below).

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95978

Any idea what is a good distro for old systems.

Omni-Tech
Pentium Celeron, 500Mhz
256 MB RAM
CD-ROM
Ethernet

Custom Built
AMD K6-2, 500Mhz
48 MB RAM
CD Burner, Partly Broken but still works
Dial-up Modem, no Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.