Learning Car Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie

Console Gamer
so i just got another job and im finally going to start doing a project ive wanted to do for years
learn how to paint cars.
right now im just looking at learning how to do more simplistic jobs nothing crazy like flames or anything

im going to be using my blazer as the guinea pig.

does anyone have any experience doing this? can you reccomend a good site? what supplies are good to start out with?...etc

thanks in advanced

Can't say I am experienced, but something I would love to learn as well.... no project car at the moment though... just project pink, and a neon pink garage floor....

find some paint and body forums...read up A LOT before actually getting into it..you'll end up in a world of **** if you aren't careful

me and dad have been doing paint work for years. its a pretty simple process but it involves a lot of small detail work.

The gun you use, the nozzle, and your air pressure make a huge difference. Don't skimp.

Steady strokes at even distance, feather off at the end of each pass or you'll get runs. Shoot for about 1/3 overlap, no more than 1/2.

Lots to learn about it. My dad has painted quite a few on the side. I wish I had learned more back then.

It's all in the prep. Clean is key. Sand till you think you are gonna die. Clean some more. Then like Trotter said, a good gun is your friend. Steady hand, and patience. Go slow. Practice on junk. Paint your lawn mower, your trash can, etc to get the feel of it. Resist the urge to paint the wall however. The wall will probably be porous and not give you a good idea of how much paint will run or sag if you go too slow. Learn the razor blade trick. It saved my arse a couple of times.

You should check this out:
Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

A $50 paint job. As much as I can tell from the pics, he did a great job IMO, although he did it while outside, which is a big no-no, but his garage was apparently too cluttered.

those $50 paint jobs usually turn out looking like ***...and usually end up costing more than $200

i did it to one of my old civics...looked horrible up close, but good in pictures.

i 100% restored my wakeboard boat and painted it inside and out. it was my first major painting task and i kid you not...i shot at least 4 coats of pimer and sanded them off again before i found the right technique. its got 5 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear.
what. a. task.
it took me nearly a year and a half, start to finish. but it is sweet. here's a pic:
medinamabel.jpg

lol the trailer is next on the hit list for this year...only problem...i lost the color code to my blue paint (arrrgh)..it looks like it will be black.

The gun you use, the nozzle, and your air pressure make a huge difference. Don't skimp.

Steady strokes at even distance, feather off at the end of each pass or you'll get runs. Shoot for about 1/3 overlap, no more than 1/2.

Lots to learn about it. My dad has painted quite a few on the side. I wish I had learned more back then.

My dad has a 1972 chevelle sitting in the garage, just waiting for us to restore it. It does run, but has some short in the electrical system so it wont start, and chokes up if you use too much throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom