Leaking Gas Tank In Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 3 senerios when it comes to the sending unit being faulty.

One, the unit can easily be accessed from the trunk, has an electrical plug, a return line, and a sending line. Pull car battery, unbolt cover, and remove unit, replacing with a new one.

Two: Unit can only be accessed by pulling the tank, not easy what so ever, but once the tank is removed it can be swapped out.

Three: In some cars, the unit is literaly, a part of the tank, and the tank/unit must be replaced.

Most tanks wont leak easily as the newer ones are coated in rubber to help prevent leaks, but if the tank has a major dent in it, it will possibly break the rubber liner.

Check the fuel lines, they run all over and look similar to brake fluid lines, some cars, the fuel lines run along the brake lines. But yea, the float on the sending unit may be damaged, or there is a bad electrical connection somewhere.

Easiest way to tell is to see what kind of mileage you get out of a tank.

If it's fairly normal, then your tank and lines are fine, and the engine isn't consuming an inordinate amount of fuel meaning it is likely a problem with the float.

Otherwise diagnosing is a bit trickier.

Some how I think it's my dash is working screwy. It's not happened since.

It was doing it again this morning. Pulled into one of my suppliers with 3/4 tank.
Drove out of my suppliers on empty. However after about 5 minutes of driving, the indicator slowly rose back to 3/4 again.
I am hoping that this is some thing that will be covered under my warranty as I still have another 12 month / 25 000 km left before that expires.

Hey keyboard, was you parked on a hill or slight slope? I know in my car, which has 170,000 miles on it now, if im parked on a slight slope like most parking lots have, if im at 1/8th a tank it will easily rise to 3/8ths a tank or more... If this is happening all the time, I would wanna say the actual gauge in the cluster may be bad....

Hey keyboard, was you parked on a hill or slight slope? I know in my car, which has 170,000 miles on it now, if im parked on a slight slope like most parking lots have, if im at 1/8th a tank it will easily rise to 3/8ths a tank or more... If this is happening all the time, I would wanna say the actual gauge in the cluster may be bad....

Oh man, this was just par for the course with my old Ford Taurus.

Park pointing down, read higher than normal, parked pointing up, read empty and took between 20-30 minutes of driving on a flat road to read correctly.

FIrst few times it was on a slope. However the last time that happened, I was on flat ground.
I will just bring this up with my car stealership mechanic when it goes in for it's 10 1000 km service in the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom