Leaking Gas Tank In Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I suspect I have a leak some where in my car.
FIrstly there was this morning where I consumed about 1/4 tank of petrol just to get to work. I started off this morning with 3/4 of a tank. By the time I got to work i had 1/2 tank left. Did not think much of it at the time as I was doing a pick up at the time.
Then when I coming back from lunch, I noticed that my low fual alarm light was fashing. I then noticed that my pretrol was down to 1/4 tank.

If I got a hole in my petrol tank, it this some thing that is easy to fix?

I've heard of a few ol' timers that will burn the drips of gas dripping from the tank then weld the tank. For me, if its in fact the tank that's leaking, I'd look around for a new\used tank.

If it is the tank, or a metal fuel line, you can use something like J-B Weld to patch it. I knocked a hole in the bottom of a gas tank once and used it, no problems.

The main thing would be to find the leak. With your recent wreck and subsequent experience with the body shop, it could be almost anywhere. It will leave tell-tale signs on the ground/asphalt of where it is dripping from. You should be able to trace it back from there.

Okay.... good news / bad news

Good news :- No sign of leakage on ground. And petrol gage was back at 1/2 full.
Bad News :- Mean that there is some thing else that is ****ed with the car has there is some thing intermittant with my petrol gage.

If your street pavement is easy enough to see during the daytime, what kind of color is the liquid ?
If it's light blue or a bright green color that could be liquid coolent that may be from the radiator.
When I read your topic about your car being hit and the way you describe it, I think you were hit from behind, the thing that gets me is did you spin out in the front of your car maybe hit a poll or a tree ?

Thats why I am suggesting frontal internal damage in my reply here.

if the gauge is working, then it may be the sending unit. The sending unit floats inside the gas tank telling the gauge how much gas is left.

If your street pavement is easy enough to see during the daytime, what kind of color is the liquid ?
If it's light blue or a bright green color that could be liquid coolent that may be from the radiator.
When I read your topic about your car being hit and the way you describe it, I think you were hit from behind, the thing that gets me is did you spin out in the front of your car maybe hit a poll or a tree ?

Thats why I am suggesting frontal internal damage in my reply here.

No. It was a side impact.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f6/i-just-smashed-my-car-215872/

There was green liquid, but that was the radator, and that was replaced with a new one.

if the gauge is working, then it may be the sending unit. The sending unit floats inside the gas tank telling the gauge how much gas is left.

That is what I am thinking. It's it possible for those to get stuck?

You bet! If it IS the sending unit and you're lucky, it will be a separate piece from the gas tank. Most, however, are only replaceable by changing the entire tank.

I will keep my eye on this if it happens again. My next service is going to be due in Jan/Feb10. But if I deside to do any travelling over the christmas break (unlikely), then I will be doing than in early December 09.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom