Killer e2200 issue

Jawnskeel

In Runtime
Hey all! I finally got around to upgrading my almost 6-year old rig. Got it a new case, mobo, cpu, RAM and PSU! I popped my old drives in and windows booted up perfectly!

Installed the network driver for the onboard Killer e2200 ethernet, and I immediately started running into BSODs. Some googling led me to believe it was the network management software that came with the driver (BSOD every 10 minutes or so). Uninstalled it all and installed solely the driver and I've been up and running since.

Anyways, this huge upgrade was to provide a better media solution for my home, and I'm using this machine with Windows Media Center and connecting at least one extender so far to it, an Xbox 360.

This is where my issue is occurring now. The extender reports a network issue and the video lags and pixelates. It was fine while the software/driver package was installed though, with the only issue being the BSODs at the time.

I monitored the incoming and outgoing traffic, and it seems that the HDHomeRun Prime's tuners run through WMC on my desktop then to the extender, so the network card is handling incoming and outgoing traffic concurrently. The inbound is pretty much constant handling one stream at 16mbps. The outbound is variable, but at times it drops to 5mbps which isn't enough for perfect picture. 20-22mbps is when the picture looks great.

I originally had a router->desktop and a router->switch->xbox 360 connection, but now the 360 is also directly connected to the router. Gigabit router, e2200 is gigabit with the 360 being the only non-gigabit device, but still wired.

What can I do to find out what is causing this issue? Are there some diagnostics I could run?

Found the issue:

Right clicking on my network adapter and clicking properties brought up a window with settings for the adapter.

The adapter had a setting of "Qualcomm Atheros Bandwidth Control" turned on. Turning off this setting resolved my slow network issues to my Windows Media Center Extender, my Xbox 360.

Also of note, I installed non-"Killer" drivers for the hardware because the "Killer" label is basically a software suite to reduce gaming lag. I'm not much of a gamer, so it was of no need to me, and the more general Atheros driver appears to be more stable according to online forums (no BSODs).

Hope this helps someone!

Glad you got it figured out and thanks for sharing your solution!

The Killer brand is a pretty gimmicky thing anyway, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom