It's a shame...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
It is really a shame that Crossover and Cedega are both required to be payed for AND bought...

Why would they capitalize on this, half the point of Linux is to be free and open, these fools are far from that.

because they are doing it for a living... it takes a lot of manhours and patience to write the code to get that stuff to work. they see a need for it, and they fill the need.. it's basic economics.

TheRecluse said:
because they are doing it for a living... it takes a lot of manhours and patience to write the code to get that stuff to work. they see a need for it, and they fill the need.. it's basic economics.

I would assume creating a free operating system is just as vigorous...and yet it is free.

:confused:

The OS was put together by many people over a lond period of time. They put it together because they wanted a free alternative OS better than the rest. So they did :)

GameGURU said:
I would assume creating a free operating system is just as vigorous...and yet it is free.

:confused:
I'll assume you coded something in your life before it's difficult isn't it. Now imagine coding an OS very difficult but remember that no one person alone is the developer of Linux with these programs it is one person or a small group and they are out to do it for a living.

Aside from that as linux becomes more mainstream you will start to expect to pay for things. Redhat, Mandriva, SuSe to name a few things will only get more corporate.

I still think it's ridiculous...

Ok, to pay for it is one thing, to have to subscribe is just plain absurd.

well, there aren't as many linux users as windows users... so once every linux user that wants that program has it.. there goes their source of income.

red hat enterprise is like 2000 bucks
and it is well worth it.
2000 bucks is not free.

also ... go to compusa, you'll see at least 5 differnet linux distros for sale.

oh, and its not obsurd. think about it ... its kinda like p2p sharing.. if you take and take and take, thats not right. you need to give AND take, and the community will grow. the more you give the better. if you use linux, you should donate to your distribution, whether that be money or donate your time and expertise in software development. dont just take, give as well.

if you use linux, you should donate to your distribution, whether that be money or donate your time and expertise in software development.
Even occasional bug reports and feedback can help.

Well, to me this subscription idea is crap, worse than Microsoft.

If Microsoft did this, most of you would have a fit from here to moon about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom