Issues with Dual Boot (via Bios) System

bobbydoogle

Beta member
Awhile back I purchased a Vector 4 480GB solid state and put Windows 8 on it, I kept my 1GB Samsung 7200RPM with a Windows 7 Installation. Both are separate OEM installs (no upgrade). I don't like using boot managers, so I simply installed one on each hard drive and depending on hard drive boot priority it will load one or the other. Everything works, but the following is my problem.

For some reason switching back to the old Samsung 7 and booting results in some issues (in Samsung/Win7):
1. It always wants to scan all the drives for errors, I have started skipping this.
2. It tells me the Recylce Bin on I:\ (that's my Vertex/Win8) is corrupted and would like me to empty it, I say no.

When booting back into Vertex/Win8 I occasionally get odd issues and need to run system repair, although I'm not sure if this is ongoing or a resolved issue.

I realize my issue is a little generic/undefined but I'm wondering if these symptoms are common of this type of dual boot setup, or what optimizations I can do.

I can tell you that those symptoms are not common. I have Win8 on my SSD and Win7 on my HDD. I used EasyBCD to give myself a boot menu to choose between them so I didnt have to go into my BIOS. I have no issues going from Win8 to Win7 and vice versa.

So to me the only variable that is different is the fact you use the BIOS to switch the drive priority.

OK my situation just got worse. Stable for months (while I didn't use my old Win 7 system). Used it today, errors noted above. When I booted back in windows 8 it gives me a Desktop access denied error. Apparently my user permissions were removed. When I try to put them back on in windows 8 I get errors. I am back in windows 7 sharing all the hard drives to see if that helps. This is getting worse. Any ideas what to try?

I thought I would close this out myself. Although I got the system stable and usable, it had multiple accounts, and would ask me for the admin password for the default admin account while in my other generated admin account. I went ahead and clean installed windows 8, and moved my dual boot 7 to another computer, problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom