Is this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
the story explination is below, but is it legal to trade [legal] goods for stolen merchindise, with intensions of reporting/returning it to the owner?

============STORY================

some of you may know me better than others, but I don't get jobs that you work hours on, I work for myself either doing something with websites, computers, family and friends, etc which gets me at about the same as a typical "job" might, but its just more fun doing it this way :)

but anyways, one of my new things... I bought some krispy kreme dounuts from my school and after school (within an hour or so) went over to the middle school and sold them at $1.50 each (bought for about $.50 each :)). One of the kids at my school who basically everyone knows is really sketch and steals things and stuff, offered me an ipod or a watch for them... cause he uh, had "the munchies".

Honestly the first thing that came to my mind was ebay, but after that i thought of my sister who had her iPod mini stolen a while back and how upset she was.

So I came up with the idea of going out of my way to trade things like ipods or watches (which apparently have a street price of about $50), and handing it over to the police station or school or w/e with intentions of it being claimed, but if not, sell it on ebay for $200 or so, therefor funding "the operation". My predictions are that less than 1/4 of the iPods will be returned, therefore I won't really lose any money, but if I do i really don't care lol. Partly cause i would be doing the right thing, and partly because I'm pretty sure that if/when i return an item to someone they would give me a reward (because most people in our city are THAT nice ;))

i've just heard some stories in the past of people who buy/trade for stolen things then get in some ****... like our family friend who got his bike stolen... this $2k bike and he bought it for $80 on the bmarket -- should know better but w/e

so this friend of ours sees him and is like "GIVE ME MY BIKE YOU SOB!!" and the guy ends up going to court and stuff (not prosicuited by our friend) to explain the situation, just stuff i dont want to do....

well, if you are handing it to the police first, and no one claims it, it should be rightfully yours. I think there is a certain timeframe that someone has to claim whatever was stolen or whoever turned it in keeps it (if they want to).

Go to the police station and ask about it. They aren't going to arrest you. Just ask nicely and you should get a nice answer.

thats what i was going to do, but if someone were to say for sure it was illegal, frowned upon, or something like that i would save a trip to the police station downtown

So let me get this straight. You are planning on buying stolen stuff and then you're planning to turn that stuff into the police? HOw long do you think you can do this and turn in the person who sold you the items? Eventually word is going to get out that you're doing this and you'll either get beat up or killed. Or best case, they just won't sell to you.

First of all, buying anything that you "think" is stolen, is against the law.

Second, 9 times out of 10 a small item like an ipod or a watch won't be reported to police. I believe there is a thread here at TF about someone geting an ipod stole while at football pratice. He didn't report it to the police.

So when bringing that item to police and reporting it as possible stolen property, they will hold that item until someone reports it stolen. If no one reports it stolen chances are you won't get it back from the police as most police have what they call a "station auction" or "polce auction" and sometimes a "government auction". The money that is generated general goes towards the police force.

So, yeah... even though you might think you'e going to do the right thing and may-be make some money off of it... think again....

Here's a site that has tried what you're talking about.
http://www.lostandfound.com/index.tpl?cart=99625217960322&country=United States

As Havoc said doing this will label you as a Rat and you'll be surprised how many people will be gunning for you,I know i would give you a beating like there was no tomorrow :D

I'd get off this "quick buck" binge you seem to be on these days.

You don't want to wind up one of those dudes going for "get rich quick" schemes until the day you die.

Go out and find something honest to do.

I think that receiving stolens items/goods (buying them) is a crime, it could end up getting you in as much trouble as the person who stole it to begin with. I wouldn't recommend it, just anonymously rat the guy out and then the items should be returned by the school, police, or whoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom