Internet connection

So kind of you MidnightShadow and Carnage. Endless thanks for your time and patience.

I will try to download/install the link Carnage provided. Will it interfere in any way with the router connection? I guess not at all, but just asking.

.... and would it be advisable to deactivate the antivirus for a little while. I'm using norton, btw, which now seems to have adjusted to my computer well enough.

Last edited:
So kind of you MidnightShadow and Carnage. Endless thanks for your time and patience.

I will try to download/install the link Carnage provided. Will it interfere in any way with the router connection? I guess not at all, but just asking.
No it won't interfere with your wireless. The driver provided is for the ethernet port, which is separate from your wifi card.

.... and would it be advisable to deactivate the antivirus for a little while. I'm using norton, btw, which now seems to have adjusted to my computer well enough.

I would HIGHLY suggest dumping Norton in favor of something better (and free), such as Avira.
Avira Free Antivirus - Download the best free antivirus software

You can remove Norton with the removal tool:
Download Norton Removal Tool - MajorGeeks

No it won't interfere with your wireless. The driver provided is for the ethernet port, which is separate from your wifi card.

Thanks for this info Carnage.

I would HIGHLY suggest dumping Norton in favor of something better (and free), such as Avira.
Avira Free Antivirus - Download the best free antivirus software

You can remove Norton with the removal tool:
Download Norton Removal Tool - MajorGeeks

I understand. It was the technician's idea and I'm no fan of norton either. I'll try but I'm a bit wary. I once tried to remove it using the built-in software and something went wrong, don't know what, and mozilla firefox froze. Had to call the technician. But I'll try and see what I can do.

Thanks for this info Carnage.

I understand. It was the technician's idea and I'm no fan of norton either. I'll try but I'm a bit wary. I once tried to remove it using the built-in software and something went wrong, don't know what, and mozilla firefox froze. Had to call the technician. But I'll try and see what I can do.

That's why I suggested the removal tool, rather than using the normal uninstaller. The normal uninstaller for Norton is terrible...the removal tool will completely remove all traces of Norton from your system.

And if you're worried about if Avira is good or not...it is. It's ranked as one of the top AV's according to the tests done by AV-Comparatives, and independent / non-bias AV testing site. And add in the fact that it's free. Sounds like the tech wanted to make a sale - assuming he's the one that sold Norton to you.

That's why I suggested the removal tool, rather than using the normal uninstaller. The normal uninstaller for Norton is terrible...the removal tool will completely remove all traces of Norton from your system.

Yes I agree and truly appreciate that.

And if you're worried about if Avira is good or not...it is. It's ranked as one of the top AV's according to the tests done by AV-Comparatives, and independent / non-bias AV testing site. And add in the fact that it's free. Sounds like the tech wanted to make a sale - assuming he's the one that sold Norton to you.

:) Absolutely right again. Apparently his prime goal was to make a sale. I paid for it for which I have 200 something days left on norton. Will definitely not renew it when it expires. Norton drove me nuts until a couple of months after installation. Now, like I said, it seems to have sobered down a bit though it's still not great.

In the recent past, with norton running I was trying to download firefox. Though a very simple download, it wasn't successful. Firefox froze. Then I uninstalled norton and tried to download Avira. That too wasn't successful and it said "not protected." I had to uninstall Avira too. I also uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it a second time. Download was again unsuccessful and it remained frozen. The other 2 browsers - Chrome & IE8 - were also not performing well at all. I had no other choice but to call the tech. He couldn't find the reason why firefox had frozen, though it all started because of norton. He also said that Avira is good for the first one year and then tends to slow up the computer. But obviously he said that to promote norton as I had already paid for it. So, the OS had to be reinstalled. The mere memory of that hassle scares me as I need to be online to keep in touch with my family. So I thought I'll leave norton until the subscription expires.

Sounds like the tech you go to isn't all that experienced, IMO. More of a salesman and less of a technician, per se.

Back
Top Bottom