Internet connection

ry%3D400

Last edited:
According to that screenshot, your LAN adapter is enabled and working.

Double click it and post the screenshot of the Driver tab, please.

Also, go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> and on the left-panel, click the "Change adapter settings" link and see if it shows your LAN adapter on that screen.

I can't see the word 'driver tab' on the screenshot.
You need to double click the "Broadcom" entry (which is your LAN adapter). The Driver tab should be available then.

And here's the one of 'change adapter settings'
ry%3D400

What happens when you plug in your ethernet cable while that window is showing?

This is the driver tab after double clicking broadcom.

ry%3D400

The ethernet cable was plugged from modem to computer until last summer when LAN wouldn't connect any more. That's when I had it checked and was told as I mentioned earlier. After that I haven't tried connecting the ethernet cable as I've been using the router.

Wow...that's a really old driver... 2012.

On that window, go to the Details tab, and in the dropdown select "Hardware Ids".

Under "Hardware Ids" in the dropdown, it should have something like VEN_####&DEV#### ; post that section, where #### = some alphanumeric combination. I'll look up the latest driver available for you, and then you can install that and see if your ethernet works after that.

Screenshot of Hardware Ids (Details) at dropdown arrow.

ry%3D400

Yes driver is very old. From what I recall, the technician did try updating essential softwares when it wouldn't connect but wasn't successful. This was a year ago.

From what I understand, Lan card is a piece of hardware, right? Is there anything that can indicate whether or not the hardware itself is in a functional condition?

Yes driver is very old. From what I recall, the technician did try updating essential softwares when it wouldn't connect but wasn't successful. This was a year ago.
I believe this driver should work:
https://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=9

Go there, and download the one labeled "NetLink®/NetXtreme® I Desktop/Mobile/Server (x64)"

and then install it.

From what I understand, Lan card is a piece of hardware, right? Is there anything that can indicate whether or not the hardware itself is in a functional condition?

That's what I'm trying to assist you with. Making sure the drivers are up to date is one of the steps after verifying that Device Manager indeed does recognize it and that it shows up in the Network Adapters list

Really sorry for the dumb query.

There is NO such thing! I can't speak for everyone, but I know several folks on here that are more than happy to help out. Not everybody is great at everything! ;)

Well, I see Carnage has moved you along quite nicely. Thursday and Friday nights I work a second job, so I have little to no time to be on here and I usually take the weekends off. I'll be around a bit more today then be back on Monday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom