I never knew this...

compguy91

Fully Optimized
I never knew this (Gmail has IMAP)

I reformatted my computer the other day and just now setup gmail with outlook again but when going to lookup the settings I needed I discovered that gmail has IMAP support. Is this something new? the last time I went onto the gmail site I could've sworn they didn't have IMAP, unless it's something fairly new. Either way it's pretty neat, it is a bit slower than POP3 for some reason but it's not too bad :)

wow I didn't realize it was that new. I went on last night and saw it had IMAP settings and decided to check it out. I like it much better.

mongoman,
IMAP is Internet Message Access Protocol. It's a type of protocol to get email from a client. POP3 is commonly used but requires that all messages be downloaded to the computer. IMAP is basically like a remote connection to your mail server and uses your net connection by always staying connected. It's useful if you have one email account and want to access email across multiple computers through outlook or something instead of having to use webmail. That's the way I understand it from what I've read but I'm still new to this.

Back
Top Bottom