I need someone to explaine this to me in very simple terms.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
After speaking to kman I know the ADSL Lines are carrying alot more DATA after the switch at the Cabinet but what I don't understand is how can this happen. As far as I was aware Broadband was carried over the telephone line in your house after it was converted to a digital signal along with the ADSL Filter plugged in but how can a Telephone line that is just no more than 3 too 5 mm thick carry up to 80 Mb\s with a minimum of 56 as guaranteed by BT.

I got my equipment and the equipment has two ADSL Filters in it, SO would I be correct in thinking this as in the fiber cabinet is pumping the DATA out at a quicker rate and the up to date home hub or router is able to understand this quicker speeds being more up too date.

Copper wire could always carry these speeds, we just never had the technology to provide broadband..

Broadband is a separate signal on the line so it runs parallel to the telephone signal (thats why we can use both at the same time now).

And because we can separate the signals now we can boost the speed. Of course copper wire isnt as efficient as fiber so you cant get the same speeds (also the exchange plays a mayor part in speeds).

What ISP tend to do now is provide a fiber to the green box on your street and from there use the copper wire, this way more speed can travel to your house faster than just running copper wire all the way to the exchange.

The broadband DSL and voice on the tele line is on the same wire, they can be that way because they are on different wave lenghts, I think it's called Hertz, so your voice is on one band of hertz and the interwebs on another band on the same wire, that's why there is a filter for the phone so the voice/internet do not interfere when you use them.

Copper degrades the signal a LOT as distance increases. This means the further you are from the exchange, the harder it gets for the router to 'hear' what the exchange is saying. Just like two people trying to talk on a very windy day - you gotta be close to hear what the other person is saying!

Fibre uses pulses of light instead of an eletrical signal, and this makes things a LOT better - it's like all the wind died right down and you can easily hear your friend even though they're much further away than they were on the windy day.

All the rest is just extra bits of cleverness - e.g. how do you send more than one signal down a line? Use different frequencies like Joe said!

Copper wire could always carry these speeds, we just never had the technology to provide broadband..

Broadband is a separate signal on the line so it runs parallel to the telephone signal (thats why we can use both at the same time now).

And because we can separate the signals now we can boost the speed. Of course copper wire isnt as efficient as fiber so you cant get the same speeds (also the exchange plays a mayor part in speeds).

What ISP tend to do now is provide a fiber to the green box on your street and from there use the copper wire, this way more speed can travel to your house faster than just running copper wire all the way to the exchange.

When you look online and the likes of BT have maps; mapping out all the Fiber Cabs is it possible to map out the full country using something like Google Maps.

When you look online and the likes of BT have maps; mapping out all the Fiber Cabs is it possible to map out the full country using something like Google Maps.

100% possible, BT will have their internal map of the entire UK..

but are you talking about a public map? or integrating it into something like google maps?

I think he's referring to the fact that a map of all fiber in the UK would roughly be a map of the UK itself.

Back
Top Bottom