I lose internet connection too often. Help :/

mobkon

Baseband Member
Hi all-

My internet has been always been pretty awful. I live in NYC surrounded by other wifi networks, but Im the only one using channel 8 around me (I used inSSIDer to check). I got a new router/modem from Time Warner about a year ago and I continued to have the same issues. WiFi works fine for 15-20 minutes, then I get the yellow exclamation point over the wifi bars in my taskbar (windows 7) and it stays like that for 5 minutes, then the yellow exclamation disapears and it starts working again. Sometimes its fine for hours, sometimes its out every 10 minutes. I cant pinpoint the issue or time of day when it happens, its random. This happens on all of my wifi devices, not just one computer. Everything will lose connection at the same time. The signal is always full bars, so its not a signal strength issue.

If anyone has any clue as to what this could be, please help. Its driving me insane and I dont think I should be paying for this. I told Time Warner about this issue a year ago which is why they replaced the router/modem. Still, it doesnt work well at all and they are clueless.

EDIT: Also when it IS working, its usually pretty slow...my iPhone 3G is faster. Most networks around me are on channels 6 and 11. Im the only one on 8.

Last edited:
Have you trying hardwiring a computer into the modem? What happens?

Try this first and see if it is the ISP network or the wifi.

You can also disable the wifi on the modem and get another wireless router and then connect the ISP modem into it and use it.

Back
Top Bottom