Hypothetical Question about Gaming Programming Languages

Found the "Microsoft Virtual Academy" and spotted a quick course on "Game design using HTML5."

That just sounds too easy to ignore.

Installing my 90-day trial of MS Visual Studio Ultimate right now ;)

There's a free version of Visual Studio called Visual Studio Community Edition that you can get. It has most of the features you'll need, and is free for commercial use as well. I'd look into that - because I'm sure you won't use most of what Ultimate has that the Community Edition doesn't.

Well the instructor in that course explicitly recommended Ultimate . . . so who knows if he was just selling product for MS. However, given I get it for free for 90 days that puts me into a position to determine if I really want it or can settle for the free version.

I don't buy too much software so I can afford to from time to time.

LOLwut! $13,000!? . . . yeah, no point in keeping that 90 day trial on my machine then ;)

Thanks carnageX.

Say, another question I am struggling with a bit.

I'm installing Apache Cordova, which requires that one install the SDKs for all the platforms . . .

Apache Cordova API Documentation

So I've got the Android SDK installed, and now working on the Amazon Fire OS
Apache Cordova API Documentation

which requires installation of Apache Ant (along with other stuff . . . I'm coming to the realization that software developers have to install a helluva lot of software!)

Now when I go for Apache Ant . . . it seems that 1.9.4 released May 2014 is the latest version

Apache Ant - Binary Distributions

I see this instruction:

It is essential that you verify the integrity of the downloaded files using the PGP signature or the SHA1, SHA512 or MD5 checksums. The checksums are not as strong indicators as the PGP signature.

The PGP signatures can be verified using PGP or GPG. First download the KEYS as well as the asc signature file for the particular distribution. Make sure you get these files from the main distribution directory, rather than from a mirror. Then verify the signatures using
% pgpk -a KEYS
% pgpv apache-ant-1.9.4-bin.tar.gz.asc
or
% pgp -ka KEYS
% pgp apache-ant-1.9.4-bin.tar.gz.asc
or
% gpg --import KEYS
% gpg --verify apache-ant-1.9.4-bin.tar.gz.asc
A command line version of GnuPG is also available for Windows users. Follow the instructions to verify the package.

Okay . . . PGP signature is stronger so I'll try to use that. So I click on the "Keys" which leads to this:

https://www.apache.org/dist/ant/KEYS

I would think that the sections denoted as "Public key blocks" were the code that I need to somehow check against the version I download? I don't have a clue what to do at that point.

Weird thing. Seems like every time I start doing some auto-didactic exploration of this or that information technology concept, I wind up in a pair of bell-bottoms back in the mid 1970s! :)

You may create the page "PGP keys", but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered.
-->Web of trust
-->Key signing party
-->Zimmermann–Sassaman key-signing protocol
-->Phil Zimmermann
-->Pretty Good Privacy
-->Source code
-->Machine code
-->Processor register
-->x86

to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influ...ter_market#Before_the_IBM_PC.27s_introduction

Heh..
This XKCD comic illustrates that perfectly:
the_problem_with_wikipedia.png

I got GnuPG installed. I also downloaded the Windows installer version of Apache Ant.

So now what!? Did I just totally miss the whole point of the GnuPG thing by virtue of running the installer? Or can I still "verify" it?

I have to say, there is an enormous amount of information on GnuPG and the FAQ is extensive. The FAQ seems to include every possible question, except the simple one "How do I verify the digital signature of an application I downloaded?"

Ah 6 hours of "installing" and studying up on basic terms and concepts and I have yet to get past the 10 minute mark in my "Developing 2D Games with HTML5" course ;)
. . . I had forgotten what it feels like to be a new initiate into a complex realm of knowledge. But at least you info tech folks seem guided by an ethos of helpfulness and clarity and not by political axe-grinding and agenda.

I got GnuPG installed. I also downloaded the Windows installer version of Apache Ant.

So now what!? Did I just totally miss the whole point of the GnuPG thing by virtue of running the installer? Or can I still "verify" it?
If you already installed it...pretty much lol.

Kind of a moot point - all it was saying was to verify the integrity to make sure it's not corrupted or anything like that. It installed for you...so obviously it wasn't corrupted :lol:.

I have to say, there is an enormous amount of information on GnuPG and the FAQ is extensive. The FAQ seems to include every possible question, except the simple one "How do I verify the digital signature of an application I downloaded?"

Ah 6 hours of "installing" and studying up on basic terms and concepts and I have yet to get past the 10 minute mark in my "Developing 2D Games with HTML5" course ;)
. . . I had forgotten what it feels like to be a new initiate into a complex realm of knowledge. But at least you info tech folks seem guided by an ethos of helpfulness and clarity and not by political axe-grinding and agenda.

That's what we're here for - I personally at least hate the political-side of things and would rather just be helpful and get sh** done :p.

Back
Top Bottom