How many of you have friends borrow stuff...

Why would you leave the PC on all night?

Mine's on all day but off overnight but if I leave the house then it's off.

Seeding torrents like linux etc... also, i have family that use my computer remotely as a type of dvr...

I know, right?

Stuff, specially games, have gotten much bigger these days and batch downloading them makes it even more time consuming. Best time to hog all/most of the download speed is while sleeping and at night. Last time I downloaded Gears of War 4 thru MS Store it took like 12 hours. It was ~80GB. I don't want the downloading hurt my YTube, online gaming, etc. experience while I'm on.

Mine has to stay on 24/7. My computer is crunching data for the weather station. Weather service seems to get a bit upset when data drops out. Right now its even more important as Skylark Air Field is offline. I am less than a mile from the airport. There using me and one other station for wind and direction and local weather tv stations are also using the data. All that more reason to keep it up and running.

There is a bit of difference between friends, and "friends" if you know what I mean, i'd lend a proper friend most things. (and have) sometimes I haven't gotten these things back, other times I'm just yet to get them back.

For example I have a friend who borrowed a de-humidifier about five years ago, I don't need it, - that's why I said he could borrow it when he was talking about buying one. and a part of not needing it is I wouldn't be that fussed if i never got it back.

I've got about a quarter of a grand in recording gear (perhaps more actually) lent to a mate on a long term loan, (though that guy is more like family than a friend.)

On the other hand, I've got "friends" who I wouldn't lend anything to.

I tend to find it is family who lets you down the most with lending stuff though, I guess their thoughts might be that you can't stay mad forever, or maybe it's me thinking their family, they wouldn't let me down!
but i've lost no end of computer related stuff just lending it to people. (family)

Back in the Win XP days, I had an MSDN subscription so had all the various Windows versions. My son would ask to "borrow"an XP install disk. I'd never see it again. This kept happening so I eventually told my son, "No!", when he asked to borrow an XP install disk. I told him to use the others that I had lent him. Turns out he was giving them to his friends.
in my big bag of CD's, I've got some borrowed MSDN CD's (well copies of) they are all marked, From 'xyz MSDN collection, rather than just windows XP specifically so I don't give them away, I never wanted a friend to get found using pirated software, for that to come back to me, and then onto the good friend that had lent me them in the first place!

Funny thing is that they were my close friends that made me wonder just how much do they value my friendship?

Since then we are friends at an arm's length. I'm friendly but not that friendly anymore.

in my big bag of CD's, I've got some borrowed MSDN CD's (well copies of) they are all marked, From 'xyz MSDN collection, rather than just windows XP specifically so I don't give them away, I never wanted a friend to get found using pirated software, for that to come back to me, and then onto the good friend that had lent me them in the first place!
Exactly! I thought I was lending it to my son to use on a computer within our house, not going out to a friend who probably copied it for another friend who copied it for another friend who ...

I'm glad that that none of it ever came back on me.

Back
Top Bottom