HELP -ten key issues at work

tabithamae

Beta member
Our office has been having issues using the 10 key on our keyboards. We have a tech company that works for our company that has come back with zero answers so I thought I would reach out and find out if anyone can help us find out what the issue is. The problem we are having is that the 10 key pad will stop working, instead of typing numbers it will just type characters like 0y0y0y, or do nothing at all. Yes we have checked to make sure the num lock is on (it always is) and this is not a keyboard issue because every one of the 15 employees in the office have the problem. It doesn't happen all the time, just randomly throughout the day. Some people say they have fixed it by turning the num lock off then back on, its never worked for me. Others will open another program and type in it and go back to our computer program and it works. Sometimes even that does not work for me. This is very frustrating and I am hoping to find some answers as the tech company we use has pretty much shrugged their shoulders at it. Thank you for any help you can offer!

Are all of your machines using the same base image/Windows install? Are they the same hardware/model # of machine?

I am not super computer savvy so please bear with me if I struggle to answer. I do know all of the computers use the same Windows program, windows 7. We all have different brands of desktop computers, HP, DELL, Etc. All of our keyboards are basic keyboards but are different brands as well

Did it start on all of them all of the sudden, or has it always been that way since you've gotten the systems?

Nope just a regular keyboard for our desktops in the office. We enter a lot of data for our office though so not being able to use the 10 key is really irritating.

Hi tabithamae,

The next time this happens, please try to note the following:

1. Exactly what keys you're pressing on the 10 key
2. The exact output that you get (e.g. you said you get something like 0y0y0y?)

It would also be helpful to know what the user was trying to do right before this issue happens?

The "10 key" is used to refer to the number pad on a standard keyboard mate ;).

Never heard that before. Always heard it referred to as a keypad. Thanks :D

As for the OPs problem; when using a tty software like putty, kitty, or any alike.. often times there is a character translation that will make characters be translated from numbers. If the software you use has any configuration settings regarding character encoding; i would start searching there.

Also i've seen instances where the software will have a "feature", per se, that will allow you to toggle between those character encoding configurations. Possibly there is a hotkey that is inadvertently switching to that mode? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom