Help me with becoming a Network Administrator

urstuffplz1

Beta member
I am currently servicing in the British Army, and I am due to leave within the next 6 months. I have for the last 4 and a half years been working in IT and Telecommunications. My job has involved my using RF communications equipment, as well as SAT Comm. I have also been doing basic networking, setting up sub nets and using IP to config our equipment. When I leave I don't want to ideally go back into Telecommunications, however this will be something for me to fall on.

Now, I've been researching jobs and I would like to become a Network Administrator. And to be quite frankly honestly, I don't really know how. I have been spending the last 2 weeks researching what I need to do and I am quite honestly not sure.

From my job I have gained a level 3 Diploma in IT and Telecommunications, but I know this is not going to get me very far, or is it? I have been looking at self studying to take the exams for A+, before shortly following it up with N+. Also, I have been studying a Computer Science degree, and from one of my modules I can do the MTA Networking exam, as an addition to my course. Once I have done A+ and N+, I plan to do CCNA through work, due to it being free and knowing this is quite highly regarded within the IT world for this type of work. What would I also need to do? I have been looking at some of the MCSA courses, but what would you recommend? MCSA Windows 7?

Sorry for rambling a bit too much, just got a lot on my mind and I think this is the right place to ask for the right advice.

I don't know how the job market is abroad - so i can only speak about the states. Generally here military service is looked upon highly - but the specific certs gained during service usually doesn't hold much weight in the civilian world.

There is no magic number or secret to becoming a network admin. Hard work, dedication and a thirst to learn will get you there.

For networking Cisco is king right now (again at least in the states). Get your CCNA ASAP. Sounds like you already know networking to a degree - so i would just go take the Net+ just to get it on your resume (i know it's not free but it may take a few months to get the CCNA).

Back
Top Bottom