Half step/iterative consoles are dumb as hell

lastplace09

Fully Optimized
Id like to share my opinion on these half step consoles and why I think they are dumb as hell. I'd also like to see a real honest, good ol' on topic discussion about this, but I'm not holding my breath. ;-)

First of all--I play console games because I feel it gives me the most bang for my buck. I pay one time and then I get to spend my money on games from that point on. I don't have to buy graphics cards or more ram or anything else.

This PS4 pro is the equivalent of buying a new and expensive graphics card. No thank you. That's too much like a PC. If I wanted a PC, I'd get a PC and not a console.

Second--I play console games generally for stability. I don't have to fight with drivers and updates are handled automatically for me.

Developers are surely going to have to re-certify their games multiple times and account for different machine configurations which could only reasonably amount to less stability. (Arkham Knight for the PC anyone???) console games crash enough as it is. Doesn't this just make it worse?

Third--I buy consoles because it allows me to be on somewhat equal footing in multiplayer games.

Graphics configurations DO make a difference. Things like draw distance, resolution and frame rate can really give player edges. I know latency can also play a factor, but why widen the gap further between console players? Arrggghhh

Ultimately--I think this whole thing is a really bad idea. I REALLY don't want a new console every 3 years....arrggghhhh

I'd like to see some opinions on this!

Id like to share my opinion on these half step consoles and why I think they are dumb as hell. I'd also like to see a real honest, good ol' on topic discussion about this, but I'm not holding my breath. ;-)

First of all--I play console games because I feel it gives me the most bang for my buck. I pay one time and then I get to spend my money on games from that point on. I don't have to buy graphics cards or more ram or anything else.

This PS4 pro is the equivalent of buying a new and expensive graphics card. No thank you. That's too much like a PC. If I wanted a PC, I'd get a PC and not a console.

Second--I play console games generally for stability. I don't have to fight with drivers and updates are handled automatically for me.

Developers are surely going to have to re-certify their games multiple times and account for different machine configurations which could only reasonably amount to less stability. (Arkham Knight for the PC anyone???) console games crash enough as it is. Doesn't this just make it worse?

Third--I buy consoles because it allows me to be on somewhat equal footing in multiplayer games.

Graphics configurations DO make a difference. Things like draw distance, resolution and frame rate can really give player edges. I know latency can also play a factor, but why widen the gap further between console players? Arrggghhh

Ultimately--I think this whole thing is a really bad idea. I REALLY don't want a new console every 3 years....arrggghhhh

I'd like to see some opinions on this!
I actually saw something posted about multiplayer games having to keep the same fps as vanilla ps4 versions. I almost think that would make me angrier after dropping so much cash on a new system. Just imagine Microsoft having to do this with Scorpio games for parity with the xbone.

I actually saw something posted about multiplayer games having to keep the same fps as vanilla ps4 versions. I almost think that would make me angrier after dropping so much cash on a new system. Just imagine Microsoft having to do this with Scorpio games for parity with the xbone.

I can only imagine that Scorpio will be even worse because of the extra power.

Look past your nose, the age of the bog standard console lasting 7-10 years is becoming a dinosaur thought because of how fast technology is advancing.

The biggest issue with the current gen is that the technology used in them was already old when they started. The graphics chip was below midrange standard for 2013, and the CPU has always been slow in terms of power due to 1) going with AMD for contract and 2) efficiency of AMD's processors have not been up to par. The current gen even with a lot of developer wizardry (things like HBA, Async, ect) struggles hard to maintain decently detailed graphics and acceptable framerates at 1080p. Microsoft and Co (co being devs) had to resort to dynamically scaling back resolution in heavy scenes to maintain at least 30fps. They are now releasing what I'd call acceptable levels of performance going with the Polaris chip which is about 140% or so faster than the original chip's capabilities in graphics (graphics and compute combined) while also being more efficient.

Things like VR are a cash grab, and the consoles in their current form would not support VR at all, period. To overlook VR possibilities would be Sony and Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot. Not to mention, 4k screens are freakin cheap now. You have guys like me who barely turn on their PS4 because even the UI looks garbage on a 4k screen.

To the graphics, yup, and this is why people like myself scream just go PC. Console people make it seem like every step we turn we need to upgrade something when in all reality we don't. I just recently upgraded my CPU/RAM/Motherboard that I had for 4 years. I didn't even need to, I just felt like it. Badass graphics cards are becoming exceptionally cheap. Most people upgrade their graphics cards every 4-5 years unless they just really want to max everything out or get stupidly high framerates. All of my updates are automatic. I turn on Battle.net and boom Overwatch updates for me. Steam? Automatic. Origin? Automatic. So it's pretty simple, that 400 they want for PS4 Pro is the amount of money for a badass platform. The 350-500 spent on the original PS4? Oh that's a high end graphics card. Midlife of PS4 Pro, get another 250 dollar GPU (if you wanted) and continue to have higher framerates and graphics capabilities than a console while not complaining about mid-cycle console upgrades. The original platform that was paid for will last probably the duration of the current gen. The hate or misinformation towards PC gaming is really quite daft.

I for one am glad they are doing this. I'll finally be able to actually PLAY Destiny instead of hopping into a match, getting lagged into a kill, then immediately turning the bitch off. The only debate I have now is go PS4 where my buds are, or go Xbox because I already have an Oculus. Decisions decisions.

Edit: Also hoping modchips on controllers get disabled on new consoles.

Last edited:
Like PP said, the rate technology grows its inevitable to not see this happen and still keep a solid performing machine

I'm frustrated by it, but it seems to be how things are headed.
Dude tell me about it, I bought my Taken King console in Feb for $548 thinking that the consoles were both coming out in 2017. The PS4 Pro comes in at $399. I understand why and can embrace it though, as there's many times I shut the damn thing off from lag.

The lag thing is weird because that is the one game where I rarely get it. (Now that Overwatch is out you can add that to the zero lag list too) I know a lot of people are frustrated with lag in Destiny though.

As for the consoles, it will make it a lot easier to bear if they offer generous trade in prices to encourage people. I'm going to hold out though because I upgraded my HDD to 2TB and really don't think there will be an option to put that into a new unit. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

The lag thing is weird because that is the one game where I rarely get it. (Now that Overwatch is out you can add that to the zero lag list too) I know a lot of people are frustrated with lag in Destiny though.

As for the consoles, it will make it a lot easier to bear if they offer generous trade in prices to encourage people. I'm going to hold out though because I upgraded my HDD to 2TB and really don't think there will be an option to put that into a new unit. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
GameStop actually just tanked the ps4 trade in value to $125 according to cag.

Back
Top Bottom