Got a new heatsink

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
Messages
8,986
well this one time we used a house fan (you know, those ones u get from walmart) to cool my friends cpu.

and yes, it did work.
 

alvino

Golden Master
Messages
19,967
Nice. Those are pretty good temps. Then again, the X1600 doesn't produce that much heat to begin with...
 

X1337

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,008
alvino said:
Nice. Those are pretty good temps. Then again, the X1600 doesn't produce that much heat to begin with...
67c? to 70c.. that is dam hot for a video card.. :(
 

alvino

Golden Master
Messages
19,967
You do realize that ATI's reference coolers (with the exception of the X1800 and X1900 series) are pure crap, right? They can't cool for shit.
 

X1337

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,008
alvino said:
You do realize that ATI's reference coolers (with the exception of the X1800 and X1900 series) are pure crap, right? They can't cool for shit.
yea, those crapy cooler suck.. my Friend has X1800XT "I think". he said it idel at 78c, and load at 92c.. :eek: that is high. but mind you the core of that card as alot of transtors (w.e you call them)
 

alvino

Golden Master
Messages
19,967
Yup. The R520 and R580 cores run pretty hot. They have about 300+ million transistors (mainly becaus of the Ring Bus Memory Controller), which is why.

The X1900 stock cooler is actually not bad...it's like a giant hunk of copper. The only thing that sucks about it is that it's heavy as hell and to cool efficiently, it needs to be at maximum RPM, which is LOUD.
 

X1337

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,008
alvino said:
Yup. The R520 and R580 cores run pretty hot. They have about 300+ million transistors (mainly becaus of the Ring Bus Memory Controller), which is why.

The X1900 stock cooler is actually not bad...it's like a giant hunk of copper. The only thing that sucks about it is that it's heavy as hell and to cool efficiently, it needs to be at maximum RPM, which is LOUD.
lol, yea..dont that damage the card later in the years? the giant copper heatsink on a printed board. Wont it bend the card.
 

alvino

Golden Master
Messages
19,967
It'll slightly warp the outside corner. That's why nVIDIA attaches those metal bars along the outside edge of the PCB. It's to help support the weight.

One thing that intrests me though, is that the lower models like the 7900 GT etc are fitted with the bar, but you'll never see any 7900 GTX (with that hunk of a heatsink) with that support bar. Weird...

Either way, I digress...

That's why I got my CardKeeper for my X1900, so it'll hold it in. Lemme dig up a picture.



It's that black bar (that I've highlighted with the red box). It's basically a thick and strong piece of plastic that holds on to the edge of the PCB and is screwed where the PCI bracket is. Cost $8.99 at Sidewinder Computers and was worth every penny. :)
 
Top