Geeksquad lead argument at work

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
Whats up guys,

Some of you may know i work at bestbuy, ive been working there for a few months and have made some friends, the other day i was talking to the GeekSquad Lead, he was telling me about his eyefinity setup and all that and i mentioned i prefer a single high res monitor and explained how i cant wait for a 4K monitor to become affordable, he jokingly said " yea, maybe ill run an eyefinitiy setup with 4K monitors", i said, " that would be awesome but you would need some serious GPU horsepower to run that ".

This is where the argument started

He said, " nah my 290X could run that with no problem "

:SeriouslyChan:

I said, " there is no way!, My GTX690 would be brought to its knees by even a single 4k monitor, let alone 3 "

he said, " yea but my 290X is better than your 690 "

:CerealSpit:

I said, " you are out of your mind, it has more usable memory but my GPUs are more powerful! "

I forget what happened after that, i think we got disctracted and had to get back to work.

But he truly believed a 290X could run a 4K eyefinity setup and that his 290X is better than my 690...

:sick:

Maybe three 4k monitors running like.. the Windows desktop and that's about it :tongue:

Actually, the 290x rivals the Titan in power in Uber mode and higher if he has his ambient temp low.

With the scaling of SLI and higher VRAM on his card the 290x could be better in demanding titles and easily for titles that favor AMD like BF4.

Maybe three 4k monitors running like.. the Windows desktop and that's about it :tongue:

In someways seans supervisor or numbchuck boss is right. :/
Depending on which vga port his boss chooses to use he can use 4 at most.

AMD Radeon
Read the specs closely before you mouth off at me. :|
Between seans gtx690oc and his bosses r290x, sean has an advantage memory clock and boost core clock.
If seans boss places a bet for 100.00 to prove that it works I like to see it first hand on youtube.
Looser gets to work full over time for the next week.

still, there is no way a 290X could run an eyefinity setup with three 4K monitors, theres no way.

my 690 is better than a Titan, 780ti and a 290X. the only singly card that can beat my card on the market right now is a 7990, and even still, it trades blows on different titles.

still, there is no way a 290X could run an eyefinity setup with three 4K monitors, theres no way.

my 690 is better than a Titan, 780ti and a 290X. the only singly card that can beat my card on the market right now is a 7990, and even still, it trades blows on different titles.

You can stop right there.
AMD Radeon
R9 290X
DirectX® 11.2, Mantle, OpenGL 4.3
3 with DVI/HDMI, 4 using DisplayPort, 6 with an MST hub

Depending on which display port you maybe correct or maybe wrong. :/
If he chooses standard vga display connection to do this you loose. :|
If he tries it with hdmi setup with 4 port he will fail and you win your bet.
I encourage you to challenge him to a bet, you can probably put him in his place if the facts are correct.

Good luck with your next debate/dispute with your geeksquad leader over this. :)

It can run it, but at like 1fps lol.

I never said it was better, I said it usually rivals the Titan. Thing is, that is with the stock cooler. I'm curious to see what it will do with a bunch of real headroom when aftermarket cooling is lifted.

he may be physically able to run an eyefinitiy setup with three 4k monitors, im talking about being able to play games at 11520 x 2160...

That's 12 1080p monitors.. My 680 almost can't handle Crysis 3 with three :tongue: Not to mention with AA. *shudders*

Heck even a tri/quad Titan rig might have a bit of trouble.

This is where I chime in with experience on both a 690 and 290x. The 290x runs giant resolutions much much much better than the 690. But even my xfire 290x barely keeps up on eyefinity with 3 1440 monitors. There is literally no setup on the market that can run 3 4k monitors with a playable framerate.

The 690 is great at turning on all the eyecandy on a single monitor, but at 4k+ resolutions 2gb of ram isn't enough.

Back
Top Bottom