Help on how to boot from old SSD on newest Motherboard

gianos

Beta member
I have a PC with a motherboard ASROCK H510M-HDV/M2 retail and a disk SSD Patriot P300 512GB NVME M.2 PCIE GEN 3 X4.
On hand I have an older SSD Apacer 240GB with Windows 10 Pro on it.
I want (and need) to set the old Apacer as the boot drive but :

In the BIOS
1. It is recognized as a SATA disk
2. It does not show up in the boot menu. Only the newer NvMe is shown in the boot manager.
3. When I remove the NVME disk, there is no boot disk available.

There must be some BIOS tweak to make the "legacy" SSD as boot disk but I cannot find it.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Have you thoroughly read the manual for this board?
Here it states:
4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support Intel Rapid Storage
Technology 18, NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
* If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_0 will
be disabled.

• 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type
2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI
Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)*
* Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
* Supports ASRock U.2 Kit
Be sure to check the other settings for the bios here:
Link - for mobo manual pdf

Your older SSD probably will not boot up without errors. I highly doubt that the older SSD has the correct drivers that the newer board requires. But if this older SSD works it needs to be recognized in the bios first before the pc can know it exists. You can also try to pop the older SSD into another pc to see if the bios on a different pc will recognize the drive

Last edited:
It does depend on why you want to run that older SSD. If you only want to get your personal important files off you can do that by connecting the SSD to your computer using a suitable HDD to USB adaptor. If you want to use it because you don't have any operating system on the newer SSD then that probably wont work because the drivers on the older SSD will not be for that board. Having said that I have run computers using SSD or HDD set up on different computers. Windows 10 does, mostly, seem to sort itself out but I havew never tried it on a new board. You could plug the older SSD into SATA port one and seeif the computer boots. I didn't think SATA ports where designated these days but I am told some mother boards do designate which is the " master " (very old term) SATA port.

Make sure your older SSD is not on port 0, and you'll probably need to switch to legacy bios depending on how old the last system was that SSD was on.

Based on the information provided, it appears that the Apacer SSD is not showing up as a boot option in the BIOS, likely because it is recognized as a SATA disk and not an NVMe drive. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Check the BIOS settings: Go into the BIOS settings of your ASROCK H510M-HDV/M2 motherboard and look for options related to boot priority or boot order. Make sure that the Apacer SSD is listed as a boot option and that it has a higher priority than the NVMe drive.
  2. Enable Legacy Boot: Some motherboards have an option to enable or disable Legacy Boot mode, which allows you to boot from older devices such as SATA SSDs. Check if your motherboard has this option and enable it if necessary.
  3. Update BIOS firmware: It's possible that there may be a BIOS firmware update available for your ASROCK H510M-HDV/M2 motherboard that could potentially address the issue. Check the manufacturer's website for any available updates and follow their instructions to update the BIOS firmware.
  4. Check SATA port settings: Ensure that the SATA port that the Apacer SSD is connected to is configured correctly in the BIOS. It should be set to AHCI mode, which is the standard mode for SSDs.
  5. Try different SATA port: If possible, try connecting the Apacer SSD to a different SATA port on the motherboard to see if it shows up as a boot option in the BIOS.
If none of the above solutions work, you may need to consult the motherboard manual or contact ASROCK support for further assistance in configuring the Apacer SSD as the boot drive.

Examine the BIOS settings: Navigate to the ASROCK H510M-HDV/M2 motherboard's BIOS settings and look for settings pertaining to boot order or boot priority. Verify that the Apacer SSD has a higher priority than the NVMe disk and is visible as a boot option.
Enable Legacy Boot: Legacy Boot mode, which enables you to boot from older devices like SATA SSDs, can be enabled or disabled on some motherboards. Verify whether this feature is available on your motherboard and turn it on if needed.
Update the BIOS firmware: Your ASROCK H510M-HDV/M2 motherboard might be eligible for a BIOS firmware update that could resolve the problem.
if non of this help then go nvme m2 ssd manual

Back
Top Bottom