Downgrading from Windows 7 to Windows XP

Space usage mainly, plus it's uber cheap. You can hog all of your RAM up using Starter just as easy as any other version. Starter holds back RAM updates though.
Ok, so in essence, if cleanly installs Win7, no bloatware or junk, he'd be good to go.

1st off, thanks guys for all the responses! It is much appreciated!

Because some people think XP is faster because it has a smaller RAM footprint, which in this case could be true but if the install was properly optimized 7 would definitely be faster.
What about for Windows 8 if it were properly optimized? Would it be faster than Windows 7? My dad now wants to install Windows 8, if it's compatible with this particular netbook. Where can you go to tell if it's compatible or not?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
The website doesn't show any available Windows 8 drivers from what I'm seeing.
mini notebook NB505-N500BL Support | Toshiba

Some say 8 is faster with a HDD based system, but in my experience it made no difference. In any case, I don't think there are Windows 8 drivers made for it.

My experiences have differed from yours then.

Faster, mostly on startup/shutdown, as well as hibernate/resume for me, my gf, and several of my friends; all of whom have standard HDD's.

The drivers that are available for windows xp are :

Bluetooth
Camera
HDD
Service Station

These are the only drivers that you can get on our support site as well on our database nothing else.
regarding the speed of this computer its not about reloading the operating system to such windows xp etc. cause based on the detailed specs of this computer its kinda bit average
you might wanna upgrade the hardware of this computer like the Memory Stick and the HDD
You can upgrade the memory stick up to 2GB and change HDD to SDD
(Credits to mr . PP Mguire ) he is right
You can reinstall the operating system 1st before upgrading since this computer has an Hidden Partition where you can recover the notebook operating system back to the factory settings

Based on the Records . well the reason why this computer runs slow is due to the services that are running , like the default antivirus (Norton) did you pay for the full version of this?
If not ? then the software comes w/ the computer with only 90 days trial, if the software has expired then it is one of the reason why the computer run slow.
Check the msconfig and disable all the unwanted programs that are not helping the computer's performance . like google update adobe and etc,
Check if there's any infections.
Remove toolbar's that is not needed to the internet explorer.
Or go to control panel / hardware and sound / power options / set performance to high,
We have a lot of records like this

Last edited:
1st off, thanks guys for all the responses! It is much appreciated!

What about for Windows 8 if it were properly optimized? Would it be faster than Windows 7? My dad now wants to install Windows 8, if it's compatible with this particular netbook. Where can you go to tell if it's compatible or not?

Thanks in advance guys!

Check this :

Toshiba Windows 8 Upgrade Information

This is where you can check if the computer is compatible of windows 8

The driver page for it doesn't even have any spot for possible Windows 8 drivers, and those XP drivers aren't enough as it will need wifi and a few others.

His only option is Windows 7, regardless of others opinions on 8.
Startup on a 7200.12 Seagate was a mere 1 second faster than 7 with both fresh installs. Regular usage is not faster at all with HDD or SSD. If a laptop has full UEFI support to bypass post that wouldn't count due to the age of this netbook. Rather moot, and I'm sure an older fellow isn't going to want to deal with Metro.

If the OP cleaned out all the bloatware, disabled the resource intrusive services, added another GB of RAM with 7 HP, the netbook would run rather well for very basic every day tasks like internet, Youtube, whatever. It's just a simple case of taking off what shouldn't be running to clear up some RAM.

Back
Top Bottom