Do you guys do Folding Home for money?

steve10765

Daemon Poster
Hi, I want to know if you do folding home for rewards( if there are any), if you do it for the competition, or just to help.
I did some folding home on my PS3 a long time ago, but after awhile I just didn't really know what I was actually doing. Do they post status updates every few weeks on what they are doing? do they give you info on what YOUR pc is actually doing? I mean it can't just be the folding of DNA or whatever, they have gotten so many hours of computing power from users! Actually I'm going to look up how many calculations and how many hours users have done(if these stats are available)

yes, i did read some of these forums for info...

explain!

EDIT: I just remembered something a read today, those who exercise more had lower statistics of Alzheimers, they said their gray matter content was about %5 greater(really good)

Last edited:
Considering it's non-profit I doubt seriously anybody does it for money. There are forums who try to use contests to get more folders on board whether it be for forum activity, folding activity on the team, or just get more traffic in general for the cause.

As for the rest, they are basically using everybody's computer like a huge networked super computer where each machine works on a particular work unit and I'm guessing they compile it. I'm pretty sure the other information you seek is there to find if you know where to look. That I don't have the answer for as I was never huge into folding.

Yes there are individual Stats:

Folding@home - Stats

But the problem is that they are just numbers. Each unit gets a certain amount of points set for it, once you are done folding that unit, you get the points. But the thing is that you can be folding with your PS3 and not get as many points per unit as someone else. So while you maybe folding more, they are worth less and you dont seem like you are doing as much.

The whole points this is useless and worthless. It is nothing more than an e-peen contest. We have our team stats as well:

Team 12864's contributions to Folding@home

We have had a friendly competition going on here for years about it. Seeing who could get the most done a day/week/month and so on. You can see we got some dedicated people and some others that have quit quickly.

No it is not done for money, it is done to try and cure illness. Folding doesnt fold DNA, it folds proteins. Every illness, such as cancer, Alzheimers and the likes are all made of these proteins. Each PC get a piece of that protein, folds it and then sends it back to the Standford computers. There they put the folded units together to take a look at the big picture and see if there is some way they can come up with a cure.

So really if your folding it is cause you want to help and fight illness. Not cause you want to get points, money or awards. Everyone has had someone die from the stuff F@H is trying to help fight. Instead of wasting cycles and having the PC sit idle, why not fold and try to be the person that helped contribute to the cure of something.

Folding is just donating computer cycles instead of money to buy the computer to do the simulations themselves.

Stanford, aka Folding@home, studies many things in their group, from Alhymers to the flu.

As for the costs, for me, as you can see from my sig, I run a beast, and its bout 25-30 bucks amonth.
There are people though who run 4 or 5 AMD 4P O0cto setups, 48 cotres, drawing 1200W a machine, because family members have passed away due to the diseases.

I'm in a chair, and unfixable, so I know the crap life and have a decent income, so I contribute.

EVGA gives out "bucks" to buy evga products, and larger forums, with more operating money and review merch, tend to run thank you contests.

But Tech-forums don what we do, and thats the thing... every bit counts.

Last edited:
Thats nice of the people who help, some people probably buy an extra full time computer with a good CPU to help(Im hearing thewy can use GPU now)...

Thats nice of the people who help, some people probably buy an extra full time computer with a good CPU to help(Im hearing thewy can use GPU now)...

yup, my entire sr-2 hexcore system is just for folding.

gpu actually dates back further than NVidia g80, the first client was for ati brook based cards.

NVidia now is the king for gpu folding, my 560ti runs pretty decent numbers.

Back
Top Bottom