Deleting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I recently re-installed Windows 7 Ultimate. I installed it on a drive that had my previous installation of Win 7 on it, but I wanted to do it "fresh", so I did not choose to repair or do an upgrade install.

So as you might already know, when doing this, the installation procedure gives you a message that it detects a previous installation of Windows on the disk, and that it will save this in a folder called "Windows.old".

After my fresh installation was complete, I went to the "Windows.old" folder that was created and copied any files that I wanted in there over to my fresh installation.

Now I want to get rid of this "Windows.old" folder and delete it.....but I can't; it won't totally let me.

I used this link by Mak213 to make sure I had full Administrator rights:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/admin-rights-vista-windows-7-a-197772/

But when trying to delete this folder, I keep getting various messages telling me I'm not allowed.

How do I permanently delete this folder? I've got a feeling I could probably do it if I were to boot into Safe Mode.....but am I missing something?

Thanks for any help or info.
Pez

Hi Mak; thanks for the reply & links.

It worked.....basically :grin:

That disk cleanup tool worked pretty well. One of the categories you can put a check-mark in is "Previous Windows Installations". It was pretty big in size (lots of gigabytes!!!) and just taking up room on my hard drive.

After running cleanup, I noticed the Windows.old folder was still there in my "C" drive, but now, it was only 1.94 kb in size; much smaller than before!

But when I right-click on it and choose from the popup menu to Delete it, I get a message on-screen that says this:

"Could not find this item.
This is no longer located in C:\. Verify the item's location and try again."

There are two buttons to click: "Try Again" and "Cancel".

If I click "Try Again", it just keeps popping back up.

Isn't this a strange message to be getting, though? How is it that it says "could not find this item"?!?! Sure it can! I just clicked on it and tried to delete it, and yes, sure enough, it is in "C"!!

I tried deleting it in Safe Mode, but I still get that same popup message I described above.

It's much smaller now (kilobyte), but I guess it just bugs me that it's still there, plus, a message telling me that it's not located in "C", when I can see for myself that it's right there :wtf:

Any other idea(s) to purge this little annoyance?

Thanks!
Pez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom