Computer Shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzanchy

Baseband Member
Hello, my computer has been shutting down on its own. I've had it for 6 years and I've never had a problem with it until last night when I was re-installing windows xp pro. It ran "Windows Set-up" and it shut down. I got curious and didnt think of it much but it did it again.. and again. Finally i disconnected the floppy and my slave HD. It was able to run it and I reinstalled windows without a problem. Now i reconnected my slave HD and it keeps shutting down. Im thinking it may be my power supply but Im not sure. can anyone help?!

I would agree with you on the PSU. Since you cant hook up another device it is either that device is faulty and cause the PSU to shut down the PC pre-maturely or it is the PSU cant handle all the additional hardware you have installed since you bought it.

I'm with Mak that it's most likely the PSU. That or its getting too hot, and shutting down to prevent damage. When was the last time you blew dust out of it?

i do it very often... and now i have my case open.. to prevent it from overheating

I am now realizing that it only shuts down when its performing tasks. It wont shut down if its idle or if im just surfing the net. Maybe a little bit after i run and install something. Could it be my processor the thing thats overheating?

I haven't installed any new hardware. Only a webcam.

So that 2nd hard drive was installed on the PC when you bought it 6 years ago? That is additional hardware. ;)

It could be your CPU. Might need a fresh coat of Thermal PAste.

as a matter of fact, its a built computer and yes i installed both HD when i bought it. so its not sure... sigh...

Never mentioned you built it. ;)

What power PSU did you use? Did you get a higher Watt or lower? Also remember that hardware does fail after a period of time. It was not designed to last forever.

I dont remember... i suppose a "standard" one. it was 6 years ago...

I just noticed a fan wasn't running... i gave it a little spin and there it goes.. but im not sure if thats the cause... lol

also i just noticed that my video card is really freakin hot. :(

Which fan are you referring to? The cpu fan? That would be a problem.

What temperatures are your cpu and gpu getting?

You can check with real temp, core temp or speedfan if you do not have monitoring software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom