Computer having WEIRD issues

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
I am at a loss as to what it could be...

A few weird things have happened since I did a fresh install on a new Corsair 250GB SSD drive (Windows 10 64 bit) but nothing that really made me question anything, until today.

I came downstairs and turned my PC on to find "Steam" wouldn't connect to the internet. I had just moved and bought a new Modem with WiFi (The Netgear AC1900) so I started thinking maybe that was causing issues.

So I go and open ports that Steam uses, still nothing. Ended up deleting Steam, reinstalling and it worked.

Then I go play a game (Squad) through Steam, and it doesn't load. I was running in circles trying to figure out what was going on for hours.

Now mind you, my internet works - Web browsing, e-mail, and I just played Squad yesterday.

So I was like WTF, and I went on YouTube just to see if something like loading a video would work. While the video did load (the grey bar at the bottom), NO video would even start playing on YouTube.

So now I am dumbfounded, I delete all the port forwarding that I had done so basically the modem/router was back to its original state. Restarted, and everything worked again. Steam would load, Squad would load, YouTube would play videos.

Problem solved, though no idea what "solved" it since I now haven't changed anything from how the PC was when I first turned it on this morning. Then I turned of my computer, I was done and over it. Had things to do...

Just now I turn my PC back on, just to make sure everything still works, and what do you know ... Issues! Videos not playing on YouTube again, Steam won't start, an application called "Discord" won't start ... but other things like Mozilla, Logitech Software, NVIDIA Experience..etc are working just fine. :silent:

So I hit "Restart" on my PC, just to see what happens, Windows loads back in and now Everything works again. W...T...F!?

Originally I thought my new modem was causing issues allowing some stuff but not others, but the fact of just restarting/turning on/off the computer determines if stuff will work or not has me wondering if my SSD is bad?

Any ideas? Aggravated, oh so aggravated!

...and if you do think it's the SSD, why YouTube videos?

Also an update, as I have been on here posting, I went back on YouTube, and now videos refuse to start playing again (Ads won't even play). I haven't shut down or restarted since they were playing just a few minutes ago.

I feel like it's too coincidental that my PC would all of a sudden have such massive issues after just hooking up a new modem, but, again, regular internet browsing works, and some applications don't load... so can it really be the SSD whacking out?

Can you log into the modem and check on any logs?

Have you tried a different ethernet port on the router? Or a different ethernet cable? What about getting the latest drivers from the NIC manufacturer's website?

Back
Top Bottom