College Campus Leaders push for lower drinking age

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Aug. 19: A group of influential college presidents say that letting kids drink earlier might help them drink safer, an argument that many parents are finding hard to swallow. NBC's Tom Costello reports. "

Thats bull****, In Canada the age is 19 they don't drink safer.. just start DUIing eariler, ect.

hey guys, it's been a while since I posted here

I live in Quebec, legal drinking is at 18 here as well, but I started much earlier than that

whether they change the age or not, this doesn't affect how much people will drink and at how young an age, it'll just shift the burden of responsibility off the colleges and universities onto the people who are supposed to be responsible adults and face whatever consequences for their actions.. the way things are set up now, if there are any damages or deaths, injuries etc. on campus because of underage drinking, the school establishment is held accountable I think

if you can vote, go off to war, own a firearm, take on a loan, own a house, have a child or get married at the age of 18, you should definitely be able to drink at 18..

lower the drinking age to 16, that's about the only way they can make money off the kids buying alcohol. Then, you won't have to nab the folks who are buying alcohol and distributing it to minors. problem solved :D I mean really, I've sipped a beer here and there but what kid is going to go out of there way to visit a bar for an 'adios amigo' or some other mixed drink.

I think it's a good idea, because in order for these kids to get out and about at 15 or 16 is to drive with a parent or legal guardian at the wheel, so now, there parents know where they are and there isn't a question about them making it home if they are drunk. Or lowering it will only increase the amount of drunk driving, probably even some dependencies through there teen years and adult life. What about the mental side ? I mean, some kids turn to drugs(pills, smoking etc) to deal with stress and 'cope' giving them an opportunity to do it legally however is on the fence.

Or it might actually slow down because drinking under age is still considered cool because it's illegal, part of that rule breaking mentality.

I think that the US keeps it at 21 because they make serious bank getting people for contributing to minors and underage drinking, kinda like the rediculous insurance rates... the only reason to have it is to make the insurance companies rich and the government rich. notice that in order for the age in any state to be lowered to 18,
... in 1984, Congress mandated a 10 percent penalty on highway appropriations for any state with a drinking age below 21.
Doesn't that just sound like the gov? ready to lower it if they can make a dime!

Move to Australia
our legal drinking age is 18
I think we have one of the lowest legal drinking ages in the world and yet I still see kids trying to sneak themselves into bars and clubs.

And then the government uses this an ascuse to increase the tax on Ready-To-Drink (or Alchi-Pops) drinks. Like Bundy and Coke use to be about $5 a can. I used to enjoy drinking a six pack over a week end. Now it's about $8 a can, and it's cheaper for me to buy the bottle of Bundy Rum and Bottle of coke and mix my own.

aaronkupen.... wow, your audacity amazes me.... and I agree with you... although I think that it shouldn't be left alone at that. I think that there should be guides towards drinking, but stipulating a drinking age will always promote underage drinking... no matter what age it is. I agree that lowering it to 18 is a good idea, doing away with it completely is a better idea. going back to the 18 issue... I will have to agree with Chris Rock in "Head of State", "If an 18 yr can go to war and have his leg blown off, then he should be able to come home and have a beer" *indirect quote*. seriously, age for joining the military=18. if I can serve my country at 18, I am legally an adult at 18, then why am I not treated as a full US adult until I am 21? *btw, I'm actually 24, but that's besides the point*

The national drinking age in the U.S. is 21, but in U.S. Territories such as the
U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico its actually 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom