C'mon you guys...

If I remember my DOS and early Windows days right, it might be that it need a support file(s) to make it run.

For example, runtime files.

Whats going on with this computer?? Now when i try and go to windows 7 i get this:
error:no such partition
entering rescue mode
grub rescue
c:/

What the hell?? I can't remember anything like that before.

That sounds like a corrupt partition or faulty HDD.

I'd grab your windows CD boot from that, go to command prompt try running FIXMBR (Can't rememebr the exact command). Then try chkdsk /f (check disk /fix again can't remember the exact command off the top of my head).

But something's either deleted some key boot record files or your partition has gone tits up due to a dying HDD would be my best guess.

Whats going on with this computer?? Now when i try and go to windows 7 i get this:
error:no such partition
entering rescue mode
grub rescue
c:/

What the hell?? I can't remember anything like that before.
Grub is a Linux thing(Grand Unified Bootloader). Its no surprise you didn't see it before. That means you made a mistake when istalling it and now the boot loader can't be found (or some similar issue, I don't remember). Sometimes it's just better to use the default installation settings when dual booting.

There is a solution for that problem, you should search online, but everything will depend on your computer and your drives.

I was able to fix the issue by installing the windows program all over again. Then BCD to remove the other partition. It was the same when i installed the new hd and put windows 10 on it. BCD fixed the issue with the selection of drive. It now works like it should. It gives me the option of which drive i want,(windows 7, windows 10), The other partition for the linux is removed and the disc space for that partition has been removed and migrated to the rest of windows 7. Each drive has only one os now. Was a PITA but It worked. I haven't had any problems since. My older programs are on w7 and my newer programs are on both w7 and w10. Right now i am using w10. I am also glad that both os are really stable. I had one older program that was giving me a little issue but tweaking it has made it work pretty good. I have the best of both worlds right now and hope i never have to go threw this again.

Back
Top Bottom