Cannot click links in Office 2003 after IE8 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
Windows XP SP3 + Updates

When I install IE8 (from IE6) I can no longer click any link in an Office 2003 Word, Excel, Outlook document.
It does not matter if the link is to an internal site, external site or UNC path it keeps coming back with "Due to restrictions on this computer..."
Even clicking the "Start Page" button in Outlook will prompt this restriction message.

If you have administrative rights, it works no problem.

I can launch IE8 directly and navigate.
I can open My Computer and enter a link in the url bar and it will launch IE8.

I've gone through both the IE and Office2003 ADM's but do not see anything related to this.

This is also the case for IE7.

If I uninstall IE8 (back to IE6) the problem goes away.

Does Office 2003 or IE8 call upon a different EXE (or file) to launch externally from a program?
I am running a "run only allowed apps" list.

When I can get on my xp sp3 machine with office 2003 later I will try to recreate the error to see if I can find a fix.

Cannot for the life of me recreate it.

Setup:
Limited account.
IE8 and firefox. (both work if I set them to default)
xp sp3
office 2003 sp3

Try turning off "run only allowed apps" list to see if that is the culprit.

Ugh, yea. I copied the GPO to a different OU and turned off the explicit allow list and it's opening now.

Hmmm, wonder if Filemon would pick up what is trying to execute...

It's probably somthing to do with windows live.... just a guess

what verion of server are you using to manage GPO's?

Windows Live isnt incorporated or even fully compatible with Office 2003. So i highly doubt that Windows Live is the issue.

You will have to adjust the "allowed list" as the processes for IE8 is not the same as IE6. Remeber IE6 didnt have tabs, it didnt run each tab as a separate process. Which IE8 does. That is where the problem is coming in. You have to account for these changes.

Windows Live isnt incorporated or even fully compatible with Office 2003. So i highly doubt that Windows Live is the issue.

You will have to adjust the "allowed list" as the processes for IE8 is not the same as IE6. Remeber IE6 didnt have tabs, it didnt run each tab as a separate process. Which IE8 does. That is where the problem is coming in. You have to account for these changes.

Well this is where I am confused.
My allowed list does have iexplore.exe allowed to run. I can launch IE8 directly, run tabs...the whole shebang. It just will not run when called from Office. Or do you mean the process in how it's called?

Filemon picks up nothing. Winword executes the command and immediately after it shows winlogon running for the error message.

If it is just when clicking a link, then it could be that the associations for the links is not correct. Go into the default programs and make sure that IE is set for them all. Go under Outlook and make sure that for its options that IE is set for it as well. If you have to make sure that you direct it to the new executable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom