bringing my old back

mrnotu

In Runtime
I am trying to bring my old computer back up to give to a friend who really needs one. I am having trouble getting the video to display on the monitor. The old drive is dead and am installing a new one. Some specs are Asus M2N32-SLI Delux Wireless MB, WD1002FAEX 1TB Drive, AMD X4 945 CPU, 5002 Bios, Win XP Pro 64bit. And as I did say am having no video on the old monitor. The GPU I was trying was the old GeForce 8600GT but I did try one of my GTX560TI's. I also hooked it up to my present monitor with no luck. I hooked it all up, inserted the Windows XP pro disk and turned it on to boot up by the disk. What am I doing wrong? Appreciate help here.

I am trying to bring my old computer back up to give to a friend who really needs one. I am having trouble getting the video to display on the monitor. The old drive is dead and am installing a new one. Some specs are Asus M2N32-SLI Delux Wireless MB, WD1002FAEX 1TB Drive, AMD X4 945 CPU, 5002 Bios, Win XP Pro 64bit. And as I did say am having no video on the old monitor. The GPU I was trying was the old GeForce 8600GT but I did try one of my GTX560TI's. I also hooked it up to my present monitor with no luck. I hooked it all up, inserted the Windows XP pro disk and turned it on to boot up by the disk. What am I doing wrong? Appreciate help here.

Can you tell us if your keyboard only lights up when posting and stays on the number lock key ?
Do you hear your drives fully booting up and making its usual noise while searching for data ?
What kind of ram do you have going on for it, if you just started to use it again with the same ram you had in it before.
It maybe the problem and you should try something different, also do you get any post beeps ?

Yes I did reset the Bios by removing battery and doing the jumper. Same Ram in it as before. I did try some other Ram too. Hard drive is spinning. Key board really does not have lights except for the number and caps lock. They do come on but does not stay on. Donot have a beep speaker to put in it so do not know if it beeps. The HD spins, the disk reader kicks in and makes noises like it is reading the boot disk, then everything seems to stop and sit there except for the HD which I do think keeps spinning.

Yes I did reset the Bios by removing battery and doing the jumper. Same Ram in it as before. I did try some other Ram too. Hard drive is spinning. Key board really does not have lights except for the number and caps lock. They do come on but does not stay on. Donot have a beep speaker to put in it so do not know if it beeps. The HD spins, the disk reader kicks in and makes noises like it is reading the boot disk, then everything seems to stop and sit there except for the HD which I do think keeps spinning.

Heh, I figured your old board may have had it, if you really wanted to, look into a good used AM3 board.
If money will not be a issue later on this week, look into a msi DDR3 1333 ram combination.

Heh, I figured your old board may have had it, if you really wanted to, look into a good used AM3 board.
If money will not be a issue later on this week, look into a msi DDR3 1333 ram combination.

No I am not fixing to buy a board for this. This is for a give away to help a friend. I do not believe there is anything wrong with this board. Never had a problem with it. Was working fine when I got my new board and used some of this one for my new build. Just something I am doing wrong or not doing. I donot know alot about this stuff and kinda blundering my way through. Might have to do with the new drive.
Thanks for the help.

Does the board have integrated video?
Can you salvage an 8ohm 2watt speaker for POST codes? (This would help a LOT)
Have you reseat the RAM and any other devices?

Try removing ALL devices except for one stick of RAM, CPU/HSF, and the monitor from the system. This will toss out the HDD/CD/DVD/PCI(e/x)/USB devices in the system as potential issues. Which will mean only a PSU, Motherboard, CPU, or RAM (just that stick, so try each stick) issue has arised as you have tried differen't GPU's already.

If that doesn't work, and you have integrated video, hook the monitor to that, go into the BIOS, and set the display to PCI(e).

Please re-read what I said. From the way this thread reads, you get a black screen, and can't tell if your even getting to or past POST. A hard drive, even with no data, if the logic board is bad can actually hang a PC in this fashion, as can any and all other components in an entire system. If this isn't the case, please clarify that.

Please re-read what I said. From the way this thread reads, you get a black screen, and can't tell if your even getting to or past POST. A hard drive, even with no data, if the logic board is bad can actually hang a PC in this fashion, as can any and all other components in an entire system. If this isn't the case, please clarify that.

I disconnected everything except one ram, cpu, and gpu and I do get the post screen on monitor. But I donot have time right now. Will have to wait till I get off work. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom