Automated Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
Ok I'm new to this in the sense that I've never really set up an automated backup. Normally for my backup uses, I just burn my files lol. Anyways lets get down to the point.

For this scenario, items used are: Dad (PC), Aunt (PC) and "Serv"(PC). Dad (PC) and Aunt (PC) are both equipped with Allway Sync.

All PC's are in a home network, totally basic. Each connected via a router using normal LAN cables.

If I configure correctly, each PC would have an individual job as to what folder/files to sync.

Dad (PC) Folder 1 -> "Serv" (PC)
Aunt (PC) Folder 2 -> "Serv" (PC)

So in theory I can leave "Serv" (PC) running 24/7 and have the other 2 backup on a daily basis to it right?

It's just for backup purposes as the files would not have to be pulled back / imaged to either PC on boot. Do I have anything wrong or will this work? Don't have a 3rd PC (Serv) at the moment to try this, but I decided to ask to make sure so I won't be wasting my time.

I'd use SyncToy, then create two shared folders on Serv (one for each PC) and map one share to each PC. Then you can easily automate it with Windows.

no probs :) you can test it out for now by creating a share on Dad and mapping the share on Aunt. See if it works ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom