Amazing Global Warming Video - All Sides Considered...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In summary, "It doesn't look like things are going to be staying the way they are. How does that affect you? How far into the future do you even care? What does this idea of almost undeniable change mean to you, because it's past the time of skepticism, this is the real deal. What do we do about it?"

"this is the real deal": no one knows that for sure. things have changed so far, but no more than they have in the past during other periods of warming/colling. the question is how much they will keep changing.... and NO ONE knows that answer.

yes we should do things to make a difference but we shouldn't dish out all of this alarmist crap and SCARE people into making it happen. because as soon as it's proved to no longer be scary, people won't give a crap.

we should be making changes to our lifestyle because of the FACTS: our air is dirty, cancer is on the rise, lung diseases are on the rise, we're over hunting and over fishing species to extinction, we're disrupting natural ecosystems, etc, etc. NOT because the world may or may not get warmer..

see what i'm saying? if we try to scare people into changing based on a theory that may or may not even hold to be true, there's a grave possibility of all that work to get changes going down the crapper. changes must be rooted in fact, not theory and scare-tactics.

Well the facts are there. Its not a theory. The polar ice caps are smaller than ever before recorded, and they are melting faster than ever before record. Just like the video says, 2 of the worlds largest science organizations are saying we definitely need to take action.

Sometimes it does.

The only exaggerations are what will happen with a few degrees rise. And I base this on what the Earth's history tells us.

The geological history tells us otherwise. The Earth has made much, much bigger changes than it's making now.
Even if we only look back a few thousand years, bigger changes have happened. Humans have done fine.

In what way do we need to change?
Cut down CO2 levels? CO2 has not been demonstrated to be the cause of temperature changes. But in fact, often a result of it.
Secondly, we don't need to change the environment to suit us.
In order to adapt, we don't need to drastically cut CO2 levels. In fact, I doubt changing the CO2 levels is going to do much anyway. There's no evidence that CO2 is causing temperature change.

The changes we make will only need to be subtle, and gradual. And certainly not cause for alarm.

And when the solar activities change in the future (like they always have), temperatures will also change, and will become lower again in the future.

Again, history tells us otherwise.

Maybe that's because there really isn't one.

Simply put, there is no established evidence to suggest that:
a) humans are causing the temperature to change
b) the rise in temperature is actually going to cause real problems

If you look at the history, the temperature has always been following a pattern, based on the sun's cycles.
We just happen to be in an uptrend. The same uptrend that's happened many times before, and hasn't wreaked havoc on the life that lives on this planet.

I think they're grossly overestimating the probability of human-caused global warming to be true, and the amount and severity of problems that might occur, even if human-caused global warming is true.

You have no idea how nice it is to hear a voice of reason about this issue.

Well the facts are there. Its not a theory. The polar ice caps are smaller than ever before recorded, and they are melting faster than ever before record. Just like the video says, 2 of the worlds largest science organizations are saying we definitely need to take action.

Yea, ever recorded. Do you know how long we've been on this planet? Not long at all compared to how long earth has been around.

I agree with Apokalipse but there is a serious flaw in his argument which is that CO2 has been demonstrated to cause global warming. It lets short-wave radiation in but deflects long-wave radiation on its way out of the atmosphere much like the glass of a greenhouse

yes I know you would get a super hot equator i.e 200+C and super cold poles -150C. This would prevent the transfer of energy as it is now with the circulation of ocean and air currents. This would lead to the break down of weather systems and ultimately create a line of consistent hurricanes along the tropics of cancer and capricorn meaning the only land close to our heat range atm would be intollerable

You have no idea how nice it is to hear a voice of reason about this issue.

Yea, ever recorded. Do you know how long we've been on this planet? Not long at all compared to how long earth has been around.

-_-..... I know that. That's my point. He was saying ohhh those numbers go up and down and have done so before yada yada...

Well this little number is a biggie. It's the first time in recorded history that the poles have been this small. Meaning we are on a major TREND, not a blip on the radar.

I agree with Apokalipse but there is a serious flaw in his argument which is that CO2 has been demonstrated to cause global warming. It lets short-wave radiation in but deflects long-wave radiation on its way out of the atmosphere much like the glass of a greenhouse
If you look at the history of CO2 and global temperatures, there is approximately an 400 year lag between when temperatures rise, and when CO2 rises

CO2 has not been demonstrated to cause temperatures to rise. But in fact, may be an effect of temperature rise.

Yes, CO2 reflects some radiation back down to Earth. But it also reflects radiation coming down to Earth back into space.

-_-..... I know that. That's my point. He was saying ohhh those numbers go up and down and have done so before yada yada...
They have. That's why there have been ice ages, and hot periods in history. because temperature on Earth isn't constant.

Well this little number is a biggie. It's the first time in recorded history that the poles have been this small. Meaning we are on a major TREND, not a blip on the radar.
in recorded history. that is a blip on the radar.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Sunspots reaching 1,000-year high

between about 1645 and 1715, solar activity was very low. Now, it's very high.
But the most striking feature, he says, is that looking at the past 1,150 years the Sun has never been as active as it has been during the past 60 years.

The solar activity works in cycles. It isn't constant. Right now, it's in a hot period.

And where does Earth get the vast majority of its energy
?
The sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom