advice on how to start a job as systems or netwroking engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

haythame78

Beta member
Hi All

I will be extremely grateful for an advice on how to change careers into IT specfically systems engineering, netwroking and network security. I do not have any IT professional qualifications and I have no work experince although I always enjoyed sorting out computer hardware and software on my friends and family PCs/laptops. I also did assemble two PCs from scratch so may be you can say i have some rough idea about IT support.

I am not sure how to go about getting into systems engineering, netwroking and network security. my current qualification is Mechatronics and Mechanical Engineering. but to be honest i just can not take working in a job that i do not enjoy any more, i did enjoy mechatronics but for various reasons i can not get into this field because i did not aquire work experience in mechatronics.

Shall I persue the CCNA (general) certificate to get a systems engineer job? or do I need to go for lower rank certificates like MCP and MCDTS to work as desktop support technican and then study for CCNA and then apply for a systems engineer job after gaining some experience in IT support?

in other words if I manage to obtains the CCNA as my first professional qualification without work experince in IT will i manage to get a job as systems engineer or will i be over qualified?

Looking forward to your valuable advice

Regards
H A

Sorry to hear you are unhappy in your current field. Is it the field or the job? I just ask because you may be able to switch companies, stay in the same field and you would be happy in something you have valuable experience in.

As for Networking and Network Security (I do not have much knowledge in System Engineering so i'll leave that for another poster) your best bet is experience, but as you've said you have none. So the next step would be certifications. A CCNA would be great for both of these, and in general I believe a CCNA, Net+, Security+, or other network specific certification is going to give you way more leverage in getting a job than an OS based certification like MCP.

Since you have no experience within IT, i do not think a CCNA will make you overqualified for any IT position. Because even if you were going into desktop support or helpdesk with a CCNA you will not be considered overqualified because you have no experience in that field. I know... weird, but that is how the IT industry works. If you do not have experience people will scoff at your resume unless you have some good certifications.

So my advice... work on getting your CCNA. Once you have your CCNA start applying for some jobs in which you feel qualified for (network related obviously) and in that time of applying study for other certifications.

Depends what you want to do, in the uk there is a expected short fall of 10 thousand people in the IT industry I own my own business and I am finding that situation a bonus as I currently offer network management an general systems support among other things. The way I see it a CompITA Net+ an a Sec+ will stand you in good stead but please chose where you study for them wisely an avoid firebrand training like the plauge.

Depends what you want to do, in the uk there is a expected short fall of 10 thousand people in the IT industry I own my own business and I am finding that situation a bonus as I currently offer network management an general systems support among other things. The way I see it a CompITA Net+ an a Sec+ will stand you in good stead but please chose where you study for them wisely an avoid firebrand training like the plauge.
Just to add to saxon, if you are going to take any certifications just purchase the books yourself and take the exams and certified locations (found on CompTIA's website).

You will spend 75 dollars on a book and 150 on the exam. So around 250 or so total. In contrast certification classes average around 1,000.

Just to add to saxon, if you are going to take any certifications just purchase the books yourself and take the exams and certified locations (found on CompTIA's website).

You will spend 75 dollars on a book and 150 on the exam. So around 250 or so total. In contrast certification classes average around 1,000.

Yea..and look around on the net...plenty of free guides out. And practice test too which are helpful to know if you are actually spending your money wisely

Thank you guys for your valuable advcie it is really appreciated.

Lex, the main reason i want to change career is that i really do not like this profession any more. i have worked for a year as mechanical engineer in the Oil field sector, I dreaded this job and i thought may be if i change to some thing else it will be better so I applied for research engineer post in a university where i worked for 4 years and to be honest i am glad that my contract has expeired i really didnt enjoy it.

after i did some sole searching i find that regretedly mechanical engineering is not for me and i feel sad when i go to work. some ppl said u need to take it on the chin and carry on with your life and not to waist my career. they say it is not wise to waist all the study u have made and the degrees you have. i dont blame them and i knowfrom where thye are comming. honestly, i have had enough. i feel i enjoy IT support jobs, this is what i enjoy doing and dont mind spending some time reinstalling the software on a computer or tweaking it. for example i enjoyed setting up remote desktop connection to my PC and hel psome of my colleages to do so. i know that professional work in IT is going to be different but i certainly feel that i will enjoy that more than mechanical engineering.

I was told CompITA A+ is for beginners who have no knowledghe in the field of IT and that i am beyond this stage, do you think the same applies for CompITA Net+? or do you think the CCNA certi covers this and more?

Yea..and look around on the net...plenty of free guides out. And practice test too which are helpful to know if you are actually spending your money wisely
one of teh websites mention that the CCNA cert need some trainign on hardware so that you can past the test. Do you think i can still pass the CCNA exam if i only practise from books and online material.

looking forward to your reply guys and sorry for the late reply

A lot of CompTIA's exams are for beginners. That does not mean they are worthless or not worth the money and time, it just means they usually are the first exams people take while moving into the IT field.

I cannot say the same for the CCNA, I do not have as much experience with that exam. I do know though that it is geared towards more tech savvy people and it is a harder exam then the Net+.

Haythame, do what makes you happy. Do not listen to others when it comes to being happy. YOu know why? Because they do not have to live your life. Of course they are goign to say do not throw that time and energy away on a new career because they don't know what it is like to go into work every day sad and depressed that you have to work in that field.

Just take a few certifications and you will be on your way to getting an entry level IT position.

after i did some sole searching i find that regretedly mechanical engineering is not for me and i feel sad when i go to work. some ppl said u need to take it on the chin and carry on with your life and not to waist my career. they say it is not wise to waist all the study u have made and the degrees you have.

These guys have given you good advice. Like Lex says, you can do it !

I was told CompITA A+ is for beginners who have no knowledghe in the field of IT and that i am beyond this stage, do you think the same applies for CompITA Net+? or do you think the CCNA certi covers this and more?
I have to say that while the A+ is some what of a one size fit's all basic grounding the Net+ an Sec+ while basic are a VERY good grounding to begin with, I have seen people try an jump in the deep end and they either get in over there head an can't continue OR get fed up and don't have the heart to progress further past the CCNA.
You can't run before you can walk, start at the bottom with the technical equivilent of "Spot the Dog"then progress to the magnacarta.

one of teh websites mention that the CCNA cert need some trainign on hardware so that you can past the test. Do you think i can still pass the CCNA exam if i only practise from books and online material.

looking forward to your reply guys and sorry for the late reply

You can use the hardware or you can go to one of the larger book shops like Borders or Blackwells and get one of the offical Cissco CCNA exam prep packs they normaly have the software lab's and they are more than enough to get to grips with the material. And if you have a home network you can easily practice the theiory.

Hi Again Guys

thanks alot guys specially Lex and Saxon your advice is invaluable

thanks for clearing things to me regarding the Net+ and Sec+
You can use the hardware or you can go to one of the larger book shops like Borders or Blackwells and get one of the offical Cissco CCNA exam prep packs they normaly have the software lab's and they are more than enough to get to grips with the material. And if you have a home network you can easily practice the theiory.

great tip Saxon i will give it a look

Again Thanks a million

H A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom