Advice needed regarding university network T&C's

daineseman

Beta member
I've recently become concerned because my university network's terms and conditions state that they can monitor any emails sent or files transferred whenever I'm logged into the wifi network. I have to enter my username and password whenever connect to the network so this means that any activity that is done can be traced to me.
However, can anyone advise whether this means that they the moderators can actually download full files that I have downloaded in the past or see any private emails that I have sent? I have been sending and receiving some very confidential information in the past week, so obviously this is a course for concern for me.

Here is the extract from the terms and conditions I'm referring to:

Records & Monitoring
Note that everything that is done using the campus WiFi network is automatically recorded and stored. These records (of web sites visited, files transferred, emails sent, etc.) are not actively monitored, but if any misuse is suspected, they may be checked (in accordance with University regulations) to find out exactly what any user was using the network for at any given time. If you keep within the acceptable use guidelines specified above, your records will never be looked at.

Misuse of the network facilities including, but not limited to, those listed above will regarded as a serious disciplinary matter within the hall. Misuse will result in the immediate termination of your network access. It may also result in disciplinary action being taken by the University authorities or even the UK police.

IT Services staff oversee and monitor your usage of network facilities. Under exceptional circumstances, and with permission from the Warden, ITS personnel may be authorised to inspect a particular computer on site (including the data and services running on it). In such cases, the registered user will be required to co-operate with the inspection (for example, by providing any passwords required).

According to the terms, yes they can download full files and emails sent. Everything is recorded and stored just in case.

Really nothing you can do about it as that is their terms, their service and you agreed to it when you used it. So even if you have an issue with the fact they have the stuff stored "just in case" nothing you can do to get them to remove the information.

You do realize that this type of thing is done by all ISP's and providers right? If any misuse is suspected, they can pull up your activity. So even if you weren't on Uni's WiFi, if the Gov't suspected that you were up to no good they could get a copy of your records from the ISP and know what you were doing anyways. If it is something that you don't want to be traced, don't do it via the internet as everything is traced, somewhere.

Now, everything can be solved by 3 letters...

VPN

Make sure it's a VPN for the machine, not just some browser anon so that ALL network activity goes through the VPN, not just the browser.

IMO and my "Best Practice", anywhere on a public network you should be VPN somewhere.
I know you're a Collage student, but there are free ones out there.

Throw up a IP blocker Like Peer Blocker and then change your system setup to use a Proxy to connect to the internet. I do this at school because I personally don't like to lose my privacy.

Back
Top Bottom