Email Mailbox Sharing Alternative

mkit45

Beta member
I'm new here so I apologize if this question isn't in the right location. We have users that are configured to view each other's email mailboxes (Exchange). They do this because if one person is on vacation someone has the ability to access and find customer email. It's a security concern for me because now anyone has the ability to see all mail in a person's account, not just what they need to find for a customer. They like it because it's convenient but to me it poses a security risk. It would just take one person to misuse the capability. They are against using group email addresses and having customers send/receive from those. I could set up forwarding for when users are out but they may have received customer email from weeks before that needs to be accessed. It would only help for new incoming email while a person is on vacation. Does anyone have any possible solutions? I did a search online but only find shared mailbox solutions and that option is not viable here.

An alternative to sharing an email mailbox is to use email delegation. Email delegation allows you to give another person access to your email inbox and calendar, while still maintaining control over your account.

Some popular email service providers such as G Suite (formerly known as Google Apps), Microsoft 365 and Zoho Mail, provide the feature of delegating emails to another user in the organization or outside. This can be done through setting up a delegate or an assistant.

With email delegation, you can give someone else the ability to read and respond to your emails, schedule and edit events on your calendar, and manage your contacts. This can be useful if you need someone else to manage your emails while you're out of the office, or if you have an assistant who needs to handle your emails and calendar on your behalf.

In addition, there are also different type of third party tools, such as Hiver, that can help you share emails among team members, assign tasks and keep track of shared emails, which can also be a good alternative for email mailbox sharing.

SEO Expert
Mahmudul Hasan Rifat
at ITech THeme

Back
Top Bottom