Looking for Suggestions for remote PC Monitoring /Administration Software

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I am a network /systems administrator for an organization which provides a handful of PC's to children in care.
We currently use Safe Eyes to filter and limit internet usage, and LogMeIn for remote administration.
I'm wondering if there are any other solutions out there that might be able to consolidate these functions into a single product and perhaps offer more monitoring /logging options so we can keep a closer eye on how these systems are being used.

We currently only have about 10 PC's but will be adding more in the future, so cost is certainly a consideration.
Probably one of the most important requirements is the ability to remotely manage these systems, as they are scattered across multiple buildings, and each on their own separate internet connection (not on the same LAN).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hmmmm, I don't know of a remote access/child protection platform.
I can suggest seperate programs though.
TightVNC + SSH, or using a VPN router and a free program such as Shrew Soft VPN - then simply enable remote desktop on the PC's.
I've used K-9 Web Protection (free) and it was extremetly granular at what sites could be viewed. I used it in combination with OpenDNS filtering (though it was hard trying to administer both)

I have used K-9 before in a different environment and really liked it, but was hoping for something that provided site licensing and maybe even web-based administration. In your experience, is K-9 pretty resistant to tampering?

I didn't see any problems with K-9. Password to basically do any changes, or view unauthorized sites, I believe I needed the PW to uninstall too. Tried my best to circumvent what it was doing, but didn't see anything.

I did notice it was a bit of a resource hog and slowed the system down. Mind they were a p.o.s. Dell Demension with a slow P4 and 512MB RAM trying to run WinXP.

OpenDNS is web based and you can access your profile online. Not as granular IMO, but does have a lot of things you can set. However, your DNS MUST be set to them.

Thanks for the suggestions. It'll probably be after the first of the year before I get to try anything new.

I don't know if you have any linux servers, but if you are looking for an Open Source alternative for content filtering you may be interested in DansGuardian . As far as remote administration goes I like WebEx through Citrix. Citrix is over kill for your current setup, due to the amount of PC's you are remote supporting. Your best option would be Site to Site IPsec VPN's between your sights. You can do this at very low cost. I used to be the assistant network admin for Tennessee Head Start, and this is how I setup my centers for remote administration.

Hi!

I hope this is not too late but we have been using zabbix very sucessfully - it's flexibility is sometimes a little complex but the stuff you can do with it is incredible.

As well, if you are looking for some help setting it up, i'd be happy to help, just contact us from our website: Remote Administration and Monitoring: System Geeks

Cheers!

Paul

Back
Top Bottom