Windows 8 Tricks and Tweaks

king_23

Baseband Member
Hello, my friend bought a PC running Windows 8. He absolutely hates Windows 8 and wishes he would have gotten Windows 7. He can't take the computer back now. I already checked to see if he could downgrade to Windows 7 for free but he can't. Before he purchases a Windows 7 license I would like to try to tweak his PC to see if I can get it good enough to where he likes it. Where is a good place that has tweaks and tricks to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 and also allow it to run smoother?

Uninstall all the bloatware that came pre-installed: The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk | The PC Decrapifier

Then, if he really wants a Start Menu back, try Start8 (not free, costs $5), or Pokki (free, but IMO not as good).

Thanks for your input. Decrapifier worked awesome. That is a great piece of software. Also, I choose to download Start8 for $5 and it works great as well. Previously I had used Shell start menu and it was descent but I like Start 8 much better. If you have any other tips let me know.

Thanks for your input. Decrapifier worked awesome. That is a great piece of software. Also, I choose to download Start8 for $5 and it works great as well. Previously I had used Shell start menu and it was descent but I like Start 8 much better. If you have any other tips let me know.

That's about all I've done with my Win8 setup.

Started with a clean install though, so I didn't have any of the bloat to remove initially.

If he has an SSD in the computer go ahead ahead read the SSD tweak guide minus the utility. I personally find Startisback to be a better program than Start8 but both are better than Classic Shell IMO.

Other than simply disabling some services there isn't much to do but bring the start menu back in 8.

THANK YOU!!! I hate the no start menu crap! I can't believe that crappy excuse for a start button they have. It literally has no usefulness to it.

That's about all I've done with my Win8 setup.

Started with a clean install though, so I didn't have any of the bloat to remove initially.

I see. I definitely had a lot of bloat. I am very satisfied with the new start menu though. It really helps out. Thanks again.

If he has an SSD in the computer go ahead ahead read the SSD tweak guide minus the utility. I personally find Startisback to be a better program than Start8 but both are better than Classic Shell IMO.

Other than simply disabling some services there isn't much to do but bring the start menu back in 8.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have an SSD unfortunately.

THANK YOU!!! I hate the no start menu crap! I can't believe that crappy excuse for a start button they have. It literally has no usefulness to it.

I agree. Windows 8 was designed for a tablet or a smart phone. It works very nice on devices with a touch screen. Otherwise it is just annoying.

I see. I definitely had a lot of bloat. I am very satisfied with the new start menu though. It really helps out. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have an SSD unfortunately.

I agree. Windows 8 was designed for a tablet or a smart phone. It works very nice on devices with a touch screen. Otherwise it is just annoying.

Yeah, on touch screen devices it's not bad at all. I wish they made a touch screen version and a desktop pc version. They could have made a hell of a lot more money.

Yeah, on touch screen devices it's not bad at all. I wish they made a touch screen version and a desktop pc version. They could have made a hell of a lot more money.

I use win 8 on both surface and a notebook without touch screen. I prefer it on a non touch screen to be honest. I also prefer it over win 7 as well. It did take a few days to get used to it but in the end I find it much more efficient then the old windows versions, I can make the start menu display exactly what I need or want instead of having to dig though folders, or just start typing to find an app I don't use often. I just don't get why people complain about the start menu, it is what you make it. I guess the best advice I can give to someone that is just getting their feet wet with windows 8 is force yourself to use the keyboard more. there are all sorts of shortcuts with the keyboard and most of them work on earlier versions of windows as well. Just keep an open mind and don't let all the nay sayers make your decision for you. Its a great OS but in the end go with what you like or works best for you. For me I use as many different platforms as possible because that how I make a living. Cheers!

I use win 8 on both surface and a notebook without touch screen. I prefer it on a non touch screen to be honest. I also prefer it over win 7 as well. It did take a few days to get used to it but in the end I find it much more efficient then the old windows versions, I can make the start menu display exactly what I need or want instead of having to dig though folders, or just start typing to find an app I don't use often. I just don't get why people complain about the start menu, it is what you make it. I guess the best advice I can give to someone that is just getting their feet wet with windows 8 is force yourself to use the keyboard more. there are all sorts of shortcuts with the keyboard and most of them work on earlier versions of windows as well. Just keep an open mind and don't let all the nay sayers make your decision for you. Its a great OS but in the end go with what you like or works best for you. For me I use as many different platforms as possible because that how I make a living. Cheers!

Ehhh. I know I'll have to use it someday regularly so I guess I'll have no choice but to keep an open mind haha

Back
Top Bottom